Favorite Fondant/best Fondant Techniques!

Decorating By Queensweet Updated 18 Mar 2017 , 6:06pm by Queensweet

Queensweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queensweet Posted 16 Mar 2017 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 6

Hello!

For the longest time I was using Duff fondant and since it has been discontinued I've been really struggling to smoothly cover my cakes. Satin ice was horribly dry, dallies is a little better but still gets dry near the bottom. My cakes are having a lot of wrinkles towards the bottom and dry cracks. Not pretty! 

So I'd love to hear about your favorite fondants or if you have better techniques that might help with my problem :)

PS: Even if a fondant works well I won't use it if it doesn't taste good.

TIA!

5 replies
HusbandBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HusbandBakes Posted 16 Mar 2017 , 9:01pm
post #2 of 6

I used to use Masa fondant, purchased directly from Nicholas Lodge's store in the Atlanta area, but when he started carrying Renshaw I immediately switched.  The biggest reason at the time was that it was almost 1/2 the price of Masa. After carrying it for about a year, they almost doubled the price to the point that it is about the same price as Masa.  Now it has to stand up on it's quality alone, and I believe that it does.

It tastes delicious, and can be rolled almost paper thin without tearing.  I really haven't had any problems with "elephant skin" and drying out.  It's rather expensive, but let's face it, the biggest expense involved with decorating a cake is our time.  Before using Masa/Renshaw I remember the times that my fondant ripped right as I was draping it onto the cake, requiring me to take it off the cake, redo the buttercream that it screwed up, scrape the buttercream off of the fondant, and start all over again.

For those times alone, I would have gladly paid a couple of bucks for it not to have happened.  For me it is worth the extra money to use a premium product that never lets me down.  As I'm always pushing my deadline, it's a stress reducer.  Just my 2 cents,

Jim

Queensweet Posted 17 Mar 2017 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you! I will definitely look that up and give it a try! I agree with you, I will pay a little extra for a product thats worth it. Like you said, our time is worth money, and if any thing will save me some stress I'm so down! Thanks for the tips :)

GoWildCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GoWildCakes Posted 17 Mar 2017 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 6

I love Liz Marek mmf recipe:

Works great, is so easy to work with and the taste is better.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 17 Mar 2017 , 10:58pm
post #5 of 6

I love massa grischuna neutral (available through Alert Uster Imports).  delivered in 2 days, and great customer service.  Recently dropped the price significantly to $52.00 U.S. for 13+ pounds.  Handles beautifully and tastes great.  

Queensweet Posted 18 Mar 2017 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 6

GoWildCakes I used to make MMF and found it very hard to work with, but I don't think I had ever added the wilton, so maybe someday I'll experiment and give it another shot! Though it would certainly take more time. 

yortma that's not a bad price! I just the renshaw fondant which wasn't a bad price either, so maybe I'll try the massa too sometime and see which I like best.

Thanks so much everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%