Help With 3D Kirby Vacuum Cake

Decorating By wandab509 Updated 14 Mar 2017 , 6:54pm by -K8memphis

wandab509 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wandab509 Posted 13 Mar 2017 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 6

Hello my Cake friends,

I need your help....

I have received a request to make a Kirby vacuum cleaner cake for 40 ppl. The request came through on Sat. after closing & the next business day for me is Tuesday so I have not responded to this request yet. I have attached the photo sent to me. I am struggling on the internal structure for such a Cake. I have searched the web for 2 days without any success. I was thinking of the bag being Cake or/and the base of the vacuum. I know I need to make sure to counter balance weight? Are there any lightweight material to make the bag out of so I can make the whole base cake? What are your thoughts on the handle construction? Does anyone have any ideas on how to construct this as cake? Your help is much appreciated...TIA

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Mar 2017 , 8:30am
post #2 of 6

the photo did not come through -- for lightweight foam is often used but once you ice/fondant it, it gets pretty weighty -- internally you can use plumbing flange and pvc pipe or any internal structure -- but 40 servings will be a very small cake -- it will be a mini vacuum if it's all cake --

sure you need to counter balance but you have to build it secure too

best to you

wandab509 Posted 14 Mar 2017 , 12:32pm
post #3 of 6

wandab509 Posted 14 Mar 2017 , 12:42pm
post #4 of 6

Sorry about the photo, it is now posted. Thanks  -k8memphis for your input. If I take this project on I do plan to use pvc/plumbing to build the structure. My main concern is where exactly will I need to make sure support is at and the drawing of it to build it out.

wandab509 Posted 14 Mar 2017 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 6

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Mar 2017 , 6:54pm
post #6 of 6

well that's the nature of the work right?

it depends on many variables -- i mean the bag and handle are upright so the pvc & support go there -- stick them down into some well placed foam underneath there --

but i mean if you take the job you take the responsibility of stacking this up reasonably right?

this would be midget size to hit the 40 servings if it was all cake -- i think i'd do the bottom section in cake and the bag and handle in foam and foam core -- i would even cover the bag with cloth -- uber fresh clean cloth -- why not? hot glue it onto foam -- use licorice for the electric cord --

also i would "create the illusion" i would not necessarily put in every jot and tittle -- i would charge in the neighborhood of $500

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%