Can You Refrigerate A Cake Covered With Wilton Fondant?

Decorating By CakesbyDiane Updated 13 Mar 2017 , 3:00pm by CakesbyDiane

CakesbyDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyDiane Posted 13 Mar 2017 , 1:32am
post #1 of 7

I am baking a cake for my grandson's Baptism in Houston Texas the end of this month.  The weather will be warm, 70-80, and humid.  I will bake on Thursday and decorate (ice and cover with fondant) the 2 tiers on Friday.  The Baptism is Sunday morning.  I will be using Wilton fondant, and I'm wondering whether I can refrigerate the cakes from Friday til Sunday morning.  I've read lots of pros and cons and don't want to end up with a melted mess.  I can leave the cakes out at room temperature for Saturday, if that is preferable.

Any advice specifically on Wilton fondant will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

6 replies
GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 13 Mar 2017 , 3:10am
post #2 of 7

I would NOT put the fondant covered cake in the fridge.  Crank the A.C. to COLD inside.  I have a small, dark room that gets extra chilly w/the a.c. on.  I will share that only ONE time I put any fondant in the fridge and when it came to room temp, it was weepy, left smear/wet stains,  and was a mess from  the humidity.  (not Wilton brand.)

You didn't say if the cake was filled or what kind of icing under the fondant, so I shall assume it is regular buttercream and no filling.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 13 Mar 2017 , 3:15am
post #3 of 7

Putting a fondant covered cake in the fridge is fine. Box it up and seal it. Take it out a few hours before the party to come to room temp, and do not touch the fondant, as it will leave prints. 

cherylchee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherylchee Posted 13 Mar 2017 , 5:52am
post #4 of 7

Yes, it is possible to put it in the fridge in a sealed box, but it needs to be thawed before the party, several hours or even half a day before. You need to put the cake in a room with air conditioning and place a fan facing it to blow constantly. How long it takes depends on many factors, one of which is the humidity of your location.

However, if you are using buttercream (not fresh cream) and your location is fairly cool and dry, room temperature should be fine for 2 days or so. 

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 13 Mar 2017 , 1:21pm
post #5 of 7

See. Everyone has conflicting opinions on how to do it. I place it in a box and take it out several hours to come to room temp, leaving it in the box so that any condensation collects on the outside. I have never put my cakes in front of fans, but again, everyone does it different. 

EricasSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EricasSweets Posted 13 Mar 2017 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 7

Per the manufacture request you are able to refrigerate the cake however, they do not recommend placing it in the freezer. 

CakesbyDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyDiane Posted 13 Mar 2017 , 3:00pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all for your advice.  It is unnerving that there are so many opinions!  I am just a home baker and making cakes, even just for family, is stressful enough!

I was planning to just use white chocolate buttercream filling for the top tier with vanilla cake, and chocolate ganache filling for the bottom tier (chocolate cake), both cakes iced with plain American buttercream, and not use any fruit filling.  But if I can put the cake in the frig, I would like to put a strawberry filling in the vanilla cake.  Perhaps I should contact Wilton to see what their specific recommendation is for their product.  And will see what the weather will be in Houston that day. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%