Any Ideas On How To Do Something Like This?

Decorating By Jessmar Updated 30 Jan 2007 , 3:28am by bethola

Jessmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessmar Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 9

I have had this picture saved in my favorites for a while - I love it! I don't know who made it but it is amazing! I found it in the galleries under 2006 Oklahoma Sugar Art Show.
Well, anyway, I am making a baby shower cake for a friend and I would love to try something similar to this. Does anyone have any suggestions? For example, what should I cover the cake with? I am guessing it is covered in fondant... but I am a beginner so I could be wrong. Do you think I could cover it in something different, like a poured ganache or buttercream or something, or wouldn't it turn out right? Also, what do you think was used to make it shiny (pearl dust, edible glitter, other?)? Any suggestions or tips are welcome! Thanks in advance!
-Jess
LL

8 replies
katy625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy625 Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 9

I bet its just fondant and they carved the cake to make the moons then either lightly dusted with luster dust or airbrushed a tiny bit. The stars are most likey just fondant too. That cake is so adorable! I have 2 baby shower cakes to do. This gets my imagination running!

Jessmar Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 1:31am
post #3 of 9

Thanks for your helpful input katy625!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 1:44am
post #4 of 9

The teddy bears are from a mold (I have it) so they are probably fondant. I agree that all the other pieces are most likely fondant.

Depending on how good you are with BC you could do the cake in BC and smooth it, but, I don't know how the moon cut outs would look. It looks like they may be airbrushed, you could probably "paint" them with gel colors.

If you use fondant I think pearl luster dust would be the way to go! If BC I would use cake sparkles.

GOOD LUCK and I LOVE this cake!! Don't you?

Beth in KY

katy625 Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 2:32am
post #5 of 9

Oooh, because your doing a shower cake also....take a look at this one I saw on the front of a magazine! I LOVE IT!!! Scroll down just a little to see the big picture!

http://www.globalsugarart.com/catalog/product_19575_Magic_Cakes_Issue_9_by_Edith_Sanchez.html

bethola Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 2:40am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by katy625

Oooh, because your doing a shower cake also....take a look at this one I saw on the front of a magazine! I LOVE IT!!! Scroll down just a little to see the big picture!

http://www.globalsugarart.com/catalog/product_19575_Magic_Cakes_Issue_9_by_Edith_Sanchez.html

Okay, STOP IT!! I'm on "Sweet Sabbatical" until March 1. DO NOT TEMPT ME!!! I BEG you! I'm in withdrawals now and it is getting harder and harder NOT to just bake and decorate a cake for absolutely no reason whatsoever!!

Of course, you see where I am spending my sabbatical don't you? CC definitely doesn't help us "kick the habit" do they? LOLL

Beth in KY

This is the cutest cake I have ever seen!

Jessmar Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 3:16am
post #7 of 9

Oh that cake is adorable!!! http://www.globalsugarart.com/catalog/product_19575_Magic_Cakes_Issue_9_by_Edith_Sanchez.html

Continued thanks for everyone's help!

Bethola I know what you mean about finding it difficult not to bake and decorate a cake for no reason! I find myself doing that a bit too often... for practice... and then I end up eating far too much of it myself (of course I have to, to make sure I like the recipe!)! And no, CC doesn't help in that area but it sure is addicting!!!

katy625 Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 3:23am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethola

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy625

Okay, STOP IT!! I'm on "Sweet Sabbatical" until March 1. DO NOT TEMPT ME!!! I BEG you! I'm in withdrawals now and it is getting harder and harder NOT to just bake and decorate a cake for absolutely no reason whatsoever!!

Of course, you see where I am spending my sabbatical don't you? CC definitely doesn't help us "kick the habit" do they? LOLL

Beth in KY

This is the cutest cake I have ever seen!

Hahaha! icon_razz.gif Silly! I would really love to make this cake too but I can't mold a baby for nothing! I think I am going to try the high heeled shoe next with my left over chocolate! I have a pic of the cutest high heel shoe!!!

bethola Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 3:28am
post #9 of 9

Okay, I'm signing off now! My brain is in overload with all the ideas! Katy625 YOU ARE NOT HELPING ME!!!!

Beth in KY

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%