Friday Night Cake Club For 3/3/17

Decorating By catlharper Updated 16 Apr 2017 , 10:57am by GIGGLEBOX2014

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 4 Mar 2017 , 3:49am
post #1 of 29

Starting up another session of the FNCC! All levels of cakers are welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help if needed or provide help if you can!

Hope to see lots of cake this week!

Cat

28 replies
catlharper Posted 4 Mar 2017 , 3:55am
post #2 of 29

Hi everyone!

Hope everyone had a wonderful week. I traded off jobs again this week. We ran off to Yosemite this week which is just a photographers paradise. If you follow Shutterbug Traveler on Instagram then you have seen some of the photos. I also had a cake this week for my boss's work Bridal Shower. It was mermaid themed. Since I was out of town and then working I didn't have as much time as I wanted to work on it but the Bride to Be loved it. Someday I'll do a mermaid cake I actually like! LOL! Anyways, here it is (bad cell phone pic, I know)

GIGGLEBOX2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 4 Mar 2017 , 6:32am
post #3 of 29

GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 4 Mar 2017 , 6:35am
post #4 of 29

Here is a baby shower cake I worked on tonight. Was fun, and I think it turned out super cute! All buttercream with fondant decorations. 10&8 inch.

Nana52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana52 Posted 4 Mar 2017 , 11:08am
post #5 of 29

So cute!

Nana52 Posted 4 Mar 2017 , 11:09am
post #6 of 29

Love the "jewel" look.

Nana52 Posted 4 Mar 2017 , 11:16am
post #7 of 29

Friday Night Cake Club For 3/3/17Friday Night Cake Club For 3/3/17

Nana52 Posted 4 Mar 2017 , 11:19am
post #8 of 29

My granddaughter turned 18 on Thursday.  All her life she has hugged me and stretched her arms and says "I love you this much..."  Thus the cakes that say so also.  This was my first time using rice paper and I found that if you refrigerate the cake, the paper will wrinkle when it warms to room temp.  Also, she wanted "cooked flour" icing, which is quite loose for piping.  But she loved them anyway.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 4 Mar 2017 , 8:05pm
post #9 of 29

Hello everyone, I hope you all have a good weekend so far!

@catlharper ‍ nice mermaid cake! Is the tail made out handpainted gumpaste? Love it's shape an color.

@GIGGLEBOX2014 ‍ your cake is absolutely adorable! The little animals are so cute.

@Nana52 ‍ those cakes made me smile. I kinda feel the hug! Thanks, you made my day.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 Mar 2017 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 29

@catharper  lovely mermaid-ring cake, the colors especially.  Does Yosemite still do the ‘fire falls’ or am I reaching back too far into my youth with that memory?

@gigglebox2014 adorable cake, the animals are sweet.

@nana52 your hand drawn messages are joyful, well done cakes.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 5 Mar 2017 , 12:02am
post #11 of 29

@catharper  lovely mermaid-ring cake, the colors especially.  Does Yosemite still do the ‘fire falls’ or am I reaching back too far into my youth with that memory?

@gigglebox2014 adorable cake, the animals are sweet.

@nana52 your hand drawn messages are joyful, well done cakes.

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 5 Mar 2017 , 1:10am
post #12 of 29

@catlharper ‍ your mermaid cake looks great!

@GIGGLEBOX2014 ‍ your animals are just too cute!

@Nana52 ‍ I agree with @Laetia ‍ , your cakes made me smile.  Such a cute idea, love it!

I had just one cake this week, a somewhat last minute sushi themed cake.  I was told to do whatever was easiest for me and honestly I didn't settle on what I was doing until last night as I was working on it.  I was quite happy with how it turned out especially since I don't eat sushi to know what it all looks like.  The wasabi is buttercream, the pickled ginger and chopsticks are gumpaste, the sushi is RKT covered in coconut and/or fondant and the fish roe is candy pearls that I painted orange.

kstevens Posted 5 Mar 2017 , 1:11am
post #13 of 29

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 5 Mar 2017 , 2:14pm
post #14 of 29

@kstevens ‍ Beautiful sushi cake Kelly. The use of shreded coconut for the rice is brilliant. Now I want to eat sushi...

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 6 Mar 2017 , 4:14am
post #15 of 29

As always the cakes are wonderful.

@catlharper ‍  I would of never thought of doing just the tail. I love how it came together and the colors.

@GIGGLEBOX2014 ‍ I just love the cake the little fondant animals are just to cute.

@Nana52 ‍ your cakes are just adorable. I bet your granddaughter loves them.

@kstevens ‍ now that is some sushi I would eat. 

I only made spice cupcakes for my son's birthday. 

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 6 Mar 2017 , 6:39pm
post #16 of 29

Friday Night Cake Club For 3/3/17Friday Night Cake Club For 3/3/17

LelekBolek Posted 6 Mar 2017 , 6:39pm
post #17 of 29

LelekBolek Posted 6 Mar 2017 , 6:41pm
post #18 of 29

hey whaddayaknow. It posted. Anyway... those are "display-only" dummies, with b/c or fondant.

kstevens Posted 6 Mar 2017 , 7:27pm
post #19 of 29

@LelekBolek ‍ those cupcake bouquets are gorgeous!  Love the colors, very eye catching.  The cakes are pretty too but I especially like the last one.

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 6 Mar 2017 , 7:41pm
post #20 of 29

I love the way you have done your flowers, LelekBolek.

Here is the cake I did this week:

I offered a cake to a friend for her daughter's 2nd birthday and she asked for a Frozen theme.  I wasn't too chuffed as I have a Frozen mad daughter so have made my fill of cakes with snowflakes etc.

I decided to try out the newer style ruffles made from scruched up flowers, but that failed abjectly so i just covered up the mess with traditional ruffles.  The top wasn't as smooth as I'd have liked as I had to patch up a mess caused by my acrylic discs ripping the top off the cake - at least I'd planned it to be a side-view focus for the cake.

The "ice" shards were made by melting Glacier Mints in tinfoil formers and then swirling blue colouring through them.  I was pretty impressed by how they turned out.  Although they did stain some of the mums' mouths blue!

LelekBolek Posted 6 Mar 2017 , 8:34pm
post #21 of 29

Thank you!

The beige box isn't a cake - just something to hold flowers on.

The white&green cake I originally designed as a 3-tier, but later found out just how limited my presentation space will be, so I "cut" on tier. The middle tier would have been "simpler" - no beads and large flowers, but the asymmetrical draping, and a row of tiny white roses and green leaves at the joining point with the bottom tier. 

@LizzieAylett: love the ice shards, and the creative approach to making them! 

GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 8 Mar 2017 , 7:57am
post #22 of 29

Thanks everyone! I also did my daughter's Moana themed birthday cake. I wasn't entirely happy with it, due to placing most of my time on the baby shower cake I posted above. There was so much more I wanted to do, but simply didn't have the time. I'll post a pic soon. lol

All the other cakes are really great! Good job everyone!

@kstevens ‍ Love the sushi! It is pretty realistic!

@LizzieAylett ‍ Love the glass shards! It looks amazing!

@LelekBolek ‍ Love the cupcake bouquets! It is my favorite thing to make for my girls' teachers at the end of the school year.

@catlharper ‍ Super cute mermaid tail!

catlharper Posted 8 Mar 2017 , 6:41pm
post #23 of 29

WOW! Guys! These are amazing cakes! I don't know where to start!

@GIGGLEBOX2014 ‍ I just love the fondant "chipboard" characters on your cake! They are simply adorable!!!

@Nana52 ‍ Your stick figure cakes are beyond cute! Really wonderful work!

@kstevens ‍ Your sushi are wonderful! Love your chopsticks. When I did my sushi cake this year they were what I had the most trouble with!

@LelekBolek ‍ Your cupcake bouquets are simply wonderful! And such a lovely wedding cake!

@LizzieAylett ‍ Your cake is my favorite this week. Simply stunning!

I am currently working on a new "Spring" Cake. I had meant this to be the kayak cake for my friend and coworker and then found out that there were two more coworkers, including one of our bosses, who also have birthdays this month so I had to quickly change the idea! So Spring it is! LOL! I'll share on Friday!

Also, I know we are not all female on this page but to those of you who are HAPPY WOMEN'S DAY! You are very appreciated in my book!

Cat

LizzieAylett Posted 8 Mar 2017 , 7:51pm
post #24 of 29

Thank you so much, Cat and Gigglebox.

kstevens Posted 8 Mar 2017 , 8:20pm
post #25 of 29

@LizzieAylett ‍ I am late chiming in on your cake but I love the look you achieved with the glass shards.  They are really eye catching!

LizzieAylett Posted 8 Mar 2017 , 8:24pm
post #26 of 29

Kstevens, I am very pleased with how the cake turned out - but I felt a bit bad as it was for my friend's daughter's second birthday and it is in no way a toddler-style cake!  She was pleased with it though, and I made sure to remove all the sharp bits of sugar before serving :-)

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 9 Mar 2017 , 6:32am
post #27 of 29

Everyone's cakes are so great!!! I really love the one that says I love you this much!!! Very cute!! Reminds me of when I had my dad. He always said he loved me a bushel and a peck, a hug around the neck, all over the sky and up to the world!! He has been gone now for 2+ years so all of the time I say a prayer to Jesus I ask him to tell my dad the same thing even if he can not tell my dad who said it. Of course my dad would know it was from me since I was the only one who always told him this and he told me the same!! I miss him so very much!!! 

Do yourself a favor and treat everyone as if you will never see them again because God never promises us tomorrow. Treat them with kindness, love and respect always!!! If you do you will not have any regrets when something happens to them because you showed them your love and they will never forget that you loved them!!!

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 9 Mar 2017 , 6:32am
post #28 of 29

Everyone's cakes are so great!!! I really love the one that says I love you this much!!! Very cute!! Reminds me of when I had my dad. He always said he loved me a bushel and a peck, a hug around the neck, all over the sky and up to the world!! He has been gone now for 2+ years so all of the time I say a prayer to Jesus I ask him to tell my dad the same thing even if he can not tell my dad who said it. Of course my dad would know it was from me since I was the only one who always told him this and he told me the same!! I miss him so very much!!! 

Do yourself a favor and treat everyone as if you will never see them again because God never promises us tomorrow. Treat them with kindness, love and respect always!!! If you do you will not have any regrets when something happens to them because you showed them your love and they will never forget that you loved them!!!

GIGGLEBOX2014 Posted 16 Apr 2017 , 10:57am
post #29 of 29

Just realized I never posted the pic of my oldest daughter's birthday cake. Here it is! Friday Night Cake Club For 3/3/17

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%