How Do I Get Started With Cake Decorating?

Decorating By bethschefe Updated 16 Feb 2017 , 5:27pm by nannytime7

bethschefe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethschefe Posted 12 Feb 2017 , 3:46am
post #1 of 11

How can I get started with cake decorating?

I would like to find some basic Wilton classes.  Any recommendations for a starting point?

10 replies
orit10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
orit10 Posted 12 Feb 2017 , 3:53am
post #2 of 11

Of course, search Google online for Wilton classes. Most AC Moore Michaels have them regularly. This should give you a start. Hope this helps.

bethschefe Posted 12 Feb 2017 , 4:54am
post #3 of 11

Is there any one class I should start with?  Like a cake decorating 101?  I found a lot of classes in my area but they seemed so random.  I know there is a lot to learn in just making the cake and getting it ready to frost.  :-)

orit10 Posted 12 Feb 2017 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 11

Usually when you call to schedule a class they have the information available. I went to the first class of Wilton only, that was back in 2004 (lol just a reminder of how much older I am now:( ) Anyway, there is a "starter" class etc. etc. Call the store where the classes are and ask. They should have the information. Do not get lost with many different ones, just keep it simple, ask for Wilton basic decorating 1st class.

msbelle21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msbelle21 Posted 12 Feb 2017 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 11

Start with Wilton's Course 1 Building Buttercream Skills. It's been a loooooong time since I took mine, but I believe the formats are still the same (4 weeks of class, one class per week). Supplies usually aren't provided, so look into that.

orit10 Posted 12 Feb 2017 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 11

For Example:

Course 1: Building Buttercream Skills Condensed
10:00 AM / Thursday Apr

Course 2: Flowers & Cake Design
3:00 PM / Friday Mar 10

Course 3: Fondant & Gum Paste
10:00 AM / Tuesday Apr 25
Victoria

bethschefe Posted 13 Feb 2017 , 4:23am
post #7 of 11

Thank you!!!!

I found the courses and I will be signing up.  I'm really looking forward to it :-)

orit10 Posted 14 Feb 2017 , 5:17pm
post #8 of 11

Enjoy

CakeCentral2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCentral2 Posted 16 Feb 2017 , 3:58pm
post #9 of 11

Sadly, as of March 2017, Michaels Arts and Crafts is no longer offering Wilton full courses and will only have single 2 hour lessons which will change every 2 months. I suggest seeking other similar stores in your area and perhaps a private cake decorating supply store will offer a full course. In person classes, though, are the best. Good luck. If you are in the Austin, TX area I will be happy to give you private lessons.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 16 Feb 2017 , 4:31pm
post #10 of 11

Classes are good but you can also go to youtube and type in buttercream borders, buttercream recipes, buttercream flowers, buttercream piping, buttercream cakes, Russian piping tips,wedding cakes, fondant, etc. Most of them will show you which tips to use to make the different borders and flowers and how to hold tips, etc. Make buttercream or buy it in big tub at Micheals just for practicing with on sides of cake pans or wax paper, Practice and practice till you learn how to squeeze with correct pressure when making borders and buttercream flowers.

This is how I learned how. It does however take lots and lots of practice. Take picts of your cakes and you will see that your cakes get better and better the more you practice!! You can do if you set your mind to it!!!

nannytime7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannytime7 Posted 16 Feb 2017 , 5:27pm
post #11 of 11

Check out your community college or technology center.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%