Trying To Make A Rope Ladder

Decorating By plcharles Updated 15 Feb 2017 , 7:57pm by plcharles

plcharles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plcharles Posted 10 Feb 2017 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 4

Hello All, I am attempting to make a rope ladder for a beachy wedding cake and am struggling with how to make it work. I tried several different ways...fondant, using an extruder and securing it with water as glue. It was too brittle and broke when I picked it up. I tried Decogel and it was too flimsy. I tried SugarVeil and it too was too fragile. Last night I attempted again using Isomalt but couldn't get the strings thin enough. I wanted to have it look realistic with it being wavy kind of like a fishing net. More 3D then just laying on the cake. My last attempt will be using chocolate tonight. SO my hope is someone out there has done something like this before and can share. Thanks!

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Feb 2017 , 11:22am
post #2 of 4

how did the chocolate work out -- did you use candy clay or chocolate chocolate? 

i think the sugar veil avenue is the best -- maybe try another brand or recipe

yellowdog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellowdog Posted 15 Feb 2017 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 4

This may sound crazy, but, have you tried licorice candy strands. I they are called Twizzlers or Red Vines.  They have different flavors now.

plcharles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plcharles Posted 15 Feb 2017 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 4

What an excellent idea!!!!!! I think the licorice would work great. It would allow for movement and not shatter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%