I Neeed Help With Making Chocolate Boxes

Sugar Work By yellowdog Updated 4 Feb 2007 , 1:10am by smbanda

yellowdog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellowdog Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 9

I have silicone heart shaped molds and bags of candy melts, now what do I do? I was scheduled to take a basic candy making class this weekend but they just called and canceled the class. I need to make heart shaped candy boxes to fill with chocolate mousse for valentines. I don't know what to do next. Any help (other than running away from home) I thought of that one on my own. Thanks!!!!

8 replies
smbanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbanda Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 9

Clean your mold with water and a soft cloth. Make sure it is 100%, I mean completely dry before using it. What I have read and been told in classes is to not use soap as chocolate absorbs flavors and smells. After using a mold, to clean you really just want to wipe it clean with a cloth. If you must use water you can, but the more a mold is used and wiped clean with a soft cloth, the shinier the chocolate that comes out it will be.

Melt the candy melts in the microwave on 50% power (I use a glass pyrex measuring cup), stirring every minute or two. Realize that they will keep their shape so you need to stir them, do not over heat. Once the candy melts are all melted with no lumps and they seem pourable, you are ready to pour them in your mold. Fill your mold carefully as close to the top as you can get without it overflowing. Then you want to gently tap the mold on your counter to remove air bubbles.

Are you making the lids too? The lids are a little tricky if you do them at the same time. The reason is because they are on the same sheet as the box and the sheet is not level. You will need something to prop under the mold (under the lid) on a cookie sheet. You can fill the lid, again as close to the top with out overflowing. Gently tap again if you can, its harder to do with the mold not being level. Place the mold on a cookie sheet, propping up the lid side. Place in the refrigerator until set. Probably 15 minutes, maybe 20. I've never timed it.

Susan

www.SweetFinaleDFW.com

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 9

Don't forget to empty the box portion out again, or you end up with a solid box! I actually do the top and bottoms separately. Pour the chocolate into the box portion to the brim, turn over and empty it out right away, let solidify a little(not in the refridgerator), then repeat this time letting it solidfy in the fridge (or freezer). Once the mold turns frosty on the back side, that means the chocolate has released and you can take it out, turn the mold upside down so the box will just fall out (usually onto a kitchen towel, not the hard counter). About 5 to 10 minutes depending on the size of the box and whether it's in the freezer or fridge.

Then I make the top.

You can also paint the sides of the box to coat it instead of filling to the brim and emptying.

smbanda Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 9

Sweetflowers - I don't understand what you mean about emptying the box out? I have never done this and never ended up with a solid box. I am confused.

smbanda Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 9

Sorry my misunderstanding..... i use the molds made for making poured boxes, which the inside does not get filled. My directions are for those, not for this kind that are hollow and you have to paint the sides and dump out the insides. My apologies...........

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 9

I apologize too. I just assumed it was the large heart box that has the empty middle, didn't occur to me it might be the kind that had the middle indented. You know, I have one of those kinds of molds you gave instructions on and I can never get the box out. Smbanda, is there a trick to that?

smbanda Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 9:53pm
post #7 of 9

I think refrigerating helps because when it comes to room temperature the chocolate will pull away slightly. It still is not so easy. I've messed up a box or two!! Patience! I take them out of the fridge, let them sit. Twist the mold slightly, see if it will come out. If its not going to come out easily, I let it sit a bit longer. Go back to it and twist the mold again and just keep working with it. Again, I think the longer you use your molds and don't wash them, the better they are to work with. The residue left from the chocolate will make it easier in the future if you just wipe them with a soft cloth. Hope that helps!

Susan

yellowdog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellowdog Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 7:30pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks so much for all the info. I've been trying these things for two days now and have some that are keepers. Smbanda, where did you find the molds for boxes? Unfortunately, I'm using silicone cupcake molds in heart shapes. This has truly been a learning experience. So glad I can just remelt the broken pieces and start again.

smbanda Posted 4 Feb 2007 , 1:10am
post #9 of 9

I got mine at a cake store that sells candy making supplies. I am not sure if wilton makes any - if so you might find them at Michaels or Hobby Lobby, but I don't think I ever found them there. I've also ordered them off the internet. Below is just one example:

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=ML0617&cn=110206

Ther are plenty of other websites that sell them, and plenty of varieties. What you are looking for is a pour box mold and the best place is some one that sells candy supplies, but some cake stores will have them.

Susan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%