Gumpaste Rosebud Base Question...

Decorating By kjt Updated 29 Jan 2007 , 11:50pm by ShirleyW

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 11

When making rosebuds, does the base have to dry for 24 hours like for the full blooms?
TIA,
Kathy

10 replies
kjt Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 11

yes?, no?, it doesn't matter?

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 11

Sorry did not see this post before. Yess it still needs to cure/harden for 24 hours. The more you handle the buds center it needs to be hard for the forming of the petals.

bridgett413 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridgett413 Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 11

I don't know if this would work for gumpaste, but when we did our fondant roses in the Wilton class my instructor had us use a small jelly bean (like a jelly belly) for the center. Much easier and no drying time.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 11

Depending on how large you want the bud and finished roses to be, the Jelly Bean is a bit small. You can mold a piece of gumpaste about the size of a large marble into an oval shape, make a small hook in a #30 floral wire, dip the hook into gum glue and thread up the center of the bud from the bottom. Go about 2/3rds of the way up the bud, then gently pull out until you feel the hook catch inside the paste. Pinch the paste at the bottom of the bud to attach well to the wire. Stick into a piece of styrofoam to dry over night. I make all of my centers one day and the buds and roses the next.

kjt Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 11

Alrighty, I'll make up a new batch...
Thanks for the help!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 10:59pm
post #7 of 11

Jelly beans are a bit small, but I've had great luck with gumdrops. I don't put them on wire. I put them on dry spaghetti. I wet the tip of the spaghetti (or dip it in royal icing, gum glue, piping gel), push it into the gumdrop, and begin making the flower using water to adhere the first few petals to the gumdrop. Stick it into foam to dry and then break off the spaghetti to the length you need to insert in the cake. You can't bend these to form, or make a free standing spray with these, but you can group them and add individual leaves around them on the cake.

That's how these roses were done. The sunflowers have rice krispie treat centers with fondant and sugar over them. They're on spaghetti, too.

Rae
LL

moejoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moejoe Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 11:05pm
post #8 of 11

I would let it dry for 24 atleast.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 11:26pm
post #9 of 11

For the Wilton Pink Rose cutters the jelly bean will work for the center.

I know with the Wilton flowers that are done on the toothpicks, if you do not let your base dry long enough the weight of the petals will cause the whole thing to slide down the toothpick.

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 11:28pm
post #10 of 11

After i have finished covering a cake. I sit down with a cuppa and use the left over fondant mixed with some tylose to make heaps of all different size buds, so when it comes time to make roses etc I already have a supply of buds on hand!! I find it relaxing!! sick hey??? lol

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 11:50pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by torki

After i have finished covering a cake. I sit down with a cuppa and use the left over fondant mixed with some tylose to make heaps of all different size buds, so when it comes time to make roses etc I already have a supply of buds on hand!! I find it relaxing!! sick hey??? lol

I'm right there with you, flower making is relaxing to me too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%