Hobby Lobby Candy Melts And I Quit.....

Baking By rocketmom1985 Updated 7 Feb 2017 , 4:20am by bubs1stbirthday

rocketmom1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketmom1985 Posted 7 Feb 2017 , 12:17am
post #1 of 3

Has anyone had problems with these?  I usually use the wilton and I never thought I would say this, but the wilton seem to be better quality...maybe quality is not the right word...

I was making the giant cupcake using the wilton pan which I have used many times in the past.  I used the HL candy melts to create the cupcake liner, and the "paper" I made cracked several places...so I remelted...and redid....and it cracked and i remelted...so I tried again.  I wound up with one crack which i was able to patch.  When I went to box up the cake today, there were cracks all over!  I was so frustrated!

This whole cake a was disaster so this was only one small component of my difficulty...Hershey chocolate cake was not a good choice for the giant cupcake it was too soft....my buttercream rosettes didn't stick to the crumb coat  which has never happened to me, they pulled away from the side of the cake and then to top it all off, I must have slipped on a gob of BC and slipped while putting the other cake tiers in the box....good grief the top tier slid right off to the side.  I doweled it so you know I took a dive...

This cake was a donation for a little girl in a local orphanage who was celebrating her 15th birthday which for many of the families here is a really special, a quincearera, and all I could do was sit in my kitchen and cry.  I told my DH I was not ever going to do another cake (I am just a hobby baker). He said how many cakes have you screwed up, and I said none, so he told me to get a grip and fix the cake.  Husbands.

2 replies
MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 7 Feb 2017 , 1:01am
post #2 of 3

my opinion is I don't like the Hobby Lobby cake products. The pans, the food products,etc. I wish they had Wilton products. As far as having a failure, we've all been there .....just gotta keep going forward!

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 7 Feb 2017 , 4:20am
post #3 of 3

The Hershey's chocolate cake is terrible to work with. When I make it I adjust the flour and the cocoa. I use 1.5 times the flour the recipe calls for and from the top of my head add an extra 10 grams of cocoa powder. It gives you a delicious cake that doesn't break the minute you touch it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%