Help Me With My Mmf!!!please!!!!!!!!

Decorating By SILVERCAT Updated 30 Jan 2007 , 2:47am by Jopalis

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 9

Okay I tried MMF last week and didn't have a problem with it! I made my MMF yesterday afternoon and let it rest til late in the night 11pm! I tried to roll it out and cover my cake with it but it just wasn't working for me! So I dedcided to wait til the morning and do it. Well I tried it again and I still get the same damn thing. It isn't smooth one bit, course and crumblying feeling and fells apart very easy in my hands! I am going to put some pics to see if anyone can tell me what went wrong! PLEASE help I am suppose to send this cake out tomorrow in the mail! PLEASE PLEASE!!!
LL
LL

8 replies
GrannieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrannieJ Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 9

Is it too dry? Did you use enough crisco when rolling it out?

katy625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy625 Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 9

Im just going to go down a quick list to see if something doesn't fit.

What kind of powdersugar did you use? Store brand or name brand? Store brands won't work right. Also, make sure that it doesn' t say Beet powder.

How long did you knead and did you add enough water? (water will get rid of the clumpy dryness.)

Did you use crisco while kneading. I always re-crisco my hands and then once Im done kneading (8-10 minutes of kneading) I rub it with even more crisco.

I'm just wondering if it was kneaded it for long enough because the MMF i make never looks just right unless you knead the heck out of it for at least 8-10 minutes. And that timer is set after I feel that Ive got most of the powdersugar stuck on the ball. I Scrape my counter top off then re crisco then start the 8 min timer.

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 9

Maybe you needed to sift your powdered sugar?? Sometimes that can cause it to be grainy. Try microwaving it for no more than 10 seconds at a time until more soft and kneading in some crisco.

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by katy625

Im just going to go down a quick list to see if something doesn't fit.

What kind of powdersugar did you use? Store brand or name brand? Store brands won't work right. Also, make sure that it doesn' t say Beet powder.

I used domino 10X sugar!

How long did you knead and did you add enough water? (water will get rid of the clumpy dryness.)

I have tried to reknead it and it just still has that griany feeling! I followed the directions to a "T" just as I did the first time I did it. THe first time it came out great! THis time it isn't smooth one bit!

Did you use crisco while kneading. I always re-crisco my hands and then once Im done kneading (8-10 minutes of kneading) I rub it with even more crisco.

Yup, I covered everything before during and after working this stuff!

I'm just wondering if it was kneaded it for long enough because the MMF i make never looks just right unless you knead the heck out of it for at least 8-10 minutes. And that timer is set after I feel that Ive got most of the powdersugar stuck on the ball. I Scrape my counter top off then re crisco then start the 8 min timer.

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 9

I'm not sure if this will help and I'm no expert either but most MMF recipes I see uses 16oz mini marshmallows but what you buy in stores are 10 oz. packs. So if you used the 10 oz to 2 lbs sugar ratio, your MFF may crack or turn out grainy. When I made my MMF with the 10 oz marshmallows, I used less sugar and water (I think I manually calculated in my head LOL) and from years of experience making dough, I just knew by the feel of it that it was right. HTH.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 5:22pm
post #7 of 9

It looks to me like you have too much powdered sugar in there. It ismore than likely not salvagable.

(I use cheapo off brand sugar ALL the time and it doesn't matter - the product will still come out fine - in buttercream or fondant)

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 10:30pm
post #8 of 9

I'm definitely not an expert but, I will give you my 2 cents. Make sure you use a good powdered sugar, and I add 2 tablespoons of crisco to the MMF when mixing. I also sift my ps. Something I have found that makes a huge difference and I know it has already been mentioned, but kneading it for about 10 minutes give you a real nice consistency. It's strange but every time you make it, it can turn out different so you definitely need to add your ps slowly and not all at once. good luck!

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 2:47am
post #9 of 9

I used the article/tutorial on CC and used the Alternate MMF recipe on here. I hear you are good if you work in up to around 1 3/4 lbs sugar. When mine wasn't taking sugar too well I popped in on simmering water pot and worked with hands.... I did have to add more than the 2TBS of water too and kept criscoing the counter and my hands.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%