Need Help Locating A Ccer!

Decorating By bethola Updated 1 Feb 2007 , 10:51pm by Steady2Hands

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 26

Sorry, BUT, I somehow "lost" (senior moment I guess) the username of the CCer who has the SIL that "paints" with gel colors! If you are out there OR if you know to whom I am referring, PLEASE PM me! I have a question for her!!

Thanks!!

Beth in KY

25 replies
vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 26

here's a bump for you

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 26

i am not the person or the sil, but have done it a few times. is it general question or a specific one for that individual?

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 26

I'm pretty sure that spottydog has a pic in her gallery of a beautiful beach scene that her sil painted on fondant.

bethola Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 9:05pm
post #5 of 26

jen1977: Yes, it was spottydog that I was thinking about!! THANK YOU!!

Melysa: I wanted to know if and how difficult it would be to paint on buttercream instead of fondant? Ever done it?

Beth in KY

melysa Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 11:07pm
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethola

jen1977: Yes, it was spottydog that I was thinking about!! THANK YOU!!

Melysa: I wanted to know if and how difficult it would be to paint on buttercream instead of fondant? Ever done it?

Beth in KY

i have only done this one time...and it was a very small detail ( super heros cake-page 2 of my photos)...i made a small stecil of the bat signal and used a small paint brush dipped in black gel and gently painted it on. it didnt streak, but i also only brushed it over once, i think more than that and it would start pulling up the icing from the moisture. my buttercream was very stiff (also used meringue powder in it) and had crusted well.
i dont think i would recommend painting a large surface of bc.

a thought for an experiment would be to smudge some bc on a piece of wax paper and let it crust, then to mix the gel paste with a bit of extract or vodka and paint it on that way. it is more liquid like but the alcohol evaporates quickly and allows the gel color to go on smoother. i've painted like this on fondant, but not on buttercream, so i'd only suggest this as practice, not as a factual method.

wish i could help more.

bethola Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 12:08am
post #7 of 26

Thanks so much! I start my painting classes on Wed. so I'm REALLY excited about this. My clients don't like fondant, so I thought I might could do SMALL things on bc or make a fondant "plaque" painted OR even use candy clay as a medium.

At any rate....It's a Winter PROJECT and I really need one!!

Thanks Again!!

Beth in KY

melysa Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 9:10pm
post #8 of 26

have you ever tried satin ice fondant? i have never had someone tell me that they dont like it (i am usually at the parties while they eat my cakes) and i rarely ever see a person not eat it. maybe twice that i can think of. it really is yummy

www. in to the oven .com (except no spaces) they sell it in different sizes flavors and colors. the vanilla tastes like really good buttercream to me. the choc tastes like a soft fudge. yum! and easy to work with!!!

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 10:05pm
post #9 of 26

melysa ~ Is SatinIce chocolate/white chocolate?

melysa Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 10:10pm
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady2Hands

melysa ~ Is SatinIce chocolate/white chocolate?

nope, its dark chocolate

the vanilla is just vanilla- no white chocolate, BUT i think i have seen it before (?) check out that website, you can see the variations.

Steady2Hands Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 10:12pm
post #11 of 26

I've heard lots of great compliments on Satin Ice from CCers. I watched the video of theirs with the man covering a dummy in fondant. Wow, he sure works fast.

bethola Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 2:38am
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

have you ever tried satin ice fondant? i have never had someone tell me that they dont like it (i am usually at the parties while they eat my cakes) and i rarely ever see a person not eat it. maybe twice that i can think of. it really is yummy

www. in to the oven .com (except no spaces) they sell it in different sizes flavors and colors. the vanilla tastes like really good buttercream to me. the choc tastes like a soft fudge. yum! and easy to work with!!!

Yep. It's not really a "taste" thing because when I use fondant I flavor it with tropical punch flavor (BIG HIT). It's a "texture" thing. I really do like working with Satin Ice. I find it easier to roll and it seems to smooth better for me. But, if I use it as a plaque and paint on it no one will eat it anyway so I might as well just make my own MMF, RIGHT? LOLL

Thanks for your input.

Beth in kY

Steady2Hands Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 10:33pm
post #13 of 26

Hey Beth ~ can you give us a little info on the tropical punch flavor? icon_wink.gif

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 10:44pm
post #14 of 26

Intotheoven are the ones who were using CC copywritten materils, right? I personally would find another vendor. CC took the thread off the forums, but it was a big stink.

You could try using lustre dust or color powders to paint onto crusted BC. Then, there is always the airbrush...

bethola Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 12:02am
post #15 of 26
Quote:

Hey Beth ~ can you give us a little info on the tropical punch flavor? icon_wink.gif

Sure! It's a Lorann Oil. I buy it at my cake supplier. I'm sure you can find it anywhere Lorann Oil is sold. I just "eyeball" it in the fondant or candy clay. The kids at church call it "Miss Beth's Bubblegum Icing"! LOLL

Beth in KY

Steady2Hands Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 12:17am
post #16 of 26
Quote:

The kids at church call it "Miss Beth's Bubblegum Icing"! LOLL

CUTE ~ I bet everyone loves to see your cakes come thru the door.

What part of KY are you from? I'm from the West end.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 12:22am
post #17 of 26

Hiya hun,
I have a few examples of painting on fondant and buttercream in my photo gallery

CindyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindyW Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 12:24am
post #18 of 26

Hi Beth, I paint on Fondant.
I'm in Ky Too,
Cindy

Steady2Hands Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 1:15am
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyW

I'm in Ky Too, Cindy

What part?

CindyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindyW Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 1:50pm
post #20 of 26

Bardstown

bethola Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 2:06pm
post #21 of 26
Quote:

Quote:

The kids at church call it "Miss Beth's Bubblegum Icing"! LOLL

CUTE ~ I bet everyone loves to see your cakes come thru the door.

What part of KY are you from? I'm from the West end.

Yeah? Me too!! Madisonville in Hopkins County!!

CindyW...been to Bardstown and rode on the train!

GO KY!

Chaptips: Sorry, I don't have time to look at photos now 'cause we actually got some snow last night (yeah, well 1 inch but I'll take what I can get! LOL) and I have to head to work a little slower this morning! But, I'll look when I get there! I'm sure they are great! I definitely want to see the bc painting since that is really my favorite medium!

I went to painting class yesterday for the FIRST time and I was thinking the whole time...."Okay, I could use lemon extract for the paint thinner, gel colors and petal dust 'paint' " What is WRONG with us CCer's? LOLL IN fact, at one point my instructor said "How would you do this on a cake and I surprised myself...I was like "OH, no prob. Use black MMF and then Wilton White-White- color to paint, let it dry and then use piping gel colored red, lemon extract to thin and VOILA!!" She asked if we used paint brushes as well. This is going to be a learning experience for HER too! LOLL

Okay, I'm off! I've GOT to get out and clean my car off!

Beth in KY

Steady2Hands Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 2:56pm
post #22 of 26

I'm from Possum Trot. We got snow too! The first snow of the winter and school is out for the day. My kids are in luvin it!

bethola Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 4:41pm
post #23 of 26

Well, as you can see I made it to work and am now waiting for noon to come so I can go home before the 'slick' stuff starts. SteadyHands2: I think WE are supposed to get some ice and freezing rain a little later in OUR day! Your kids are probably going to love being at home TOMORROW as well! LOLL

I have looked at your pics, as well as CindyW and chaptips. They are TOTALLY incredible! I love them and hope to be this good at painting on cakes someday. I THINK I'll be the only one in Madisonville at that point. I KNOW I'll be the only one that paints on cakes that doesn't SELL them! LOLL

Thanks so much for all your help!!

SteadyHands: I KNOW where you are girl!! Been through there MANY times. In fact, was through there last week on my way home from Alexandria, LA!

Beth in KY

Steady2Hands Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 7:25pm
post #24 of 26
Quote:

SteadyHands2: I think WE are supposed to get some ice and freezing rain a little later in OUR day! Your kids are probably going to love being at home TOMORROW as well! LOLL

Yeah ~ one speck of a flake and school gets cancelled. I grew up in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago. Now that's snow! I remember school being cancelled one time up there.

Quote:

I KNOW where you are girl!! Been through there MANY times. In fact, was through there last week on my way home from Alexandria, LA!

Did you blink when you passed through? My Mom always said that if you blink when you go through Possum Trot you'll miss it icon_lol.gif. I love it here though. BTW you were about a mile from my house thumbs_up.gif .

JasonL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JasonL Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 8:14pm
post #25 of 26

You can go a mile anywhere in Possum Trot and be close to your house LOL.

Steady2Hands Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 10:51pm
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL

You can go a mile anywhere in Possum Trot and be close to your house LOL.

icon_lol.gif So icon_lol.gif very icon_lol.gif true icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%