How To Dry Marshmallow Fondant Figure (Didn't Use Tylose Or Similar Hardener!)

Decorating By ellysmith Updated 28 Jan 2017 , 1:41pm by julia1812

ellysmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellysmith Posted 26 Jan 2017 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 8

Hi wise ones,

This is my first time posting to this forum and my first time using  fondant! I have made a unicorn cake topper from homemade marshmallow fondant. However, the instructions I followed did not mention using gum paste or tylose in the mix to harden the figure. I did make the unicorn body first and left it overnight in the fridge to harden. However, it softened each time I took it out to add the limbs etc. The figure is now finished and has been in the refrigerator for about 36 hours. It is nice and hard while in the fridge but I think it will soften when I take it out to place it on the cake. I am insanely proud of it as my first effort and don't want it to droop or soften (particularly around the head area) on the day of my kid's party. I have read about using the oven, hair dyers etc but am really nervous of doing this and melting it!

I did add some tylose to the limb sections and used tylose mixture to stick the limbs, mane etc. on the main body but the main body of the unicorn itself  including the head are tylose free.

I live in Northern California so humidity is not  an issue and I have forced air central heating on at the moment (I thought of this as a drying option). 

The figure is 7 inches long, 4 inches high and 2 inches wide appprox.

What is the safest way to harden the figure? I have 48 hours left to dry it before the party. Any tips would be very gratefully appreciated!

Thanks!

Elaine 

7 replies
Bakerlady2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerlady2 Posted 27 Jan 2017 , 2:52am
post #2 of 8

If you didn't add tylose to the MMf , it won't get hard. I would make the body and head over and add tylose  to it. Then you should let it air dry on the countertop not in the fridge. That is the best help I can give you. I don't know if putting a dowel down through the body would help hold it up?

ellysmith Posted 27 Jan 2017 , 3:10am
post #3 of 8

Oh well.... thanks so much!

kandyslife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandyslife Posted 27 Jan 2017 , 8:13am
post #4 of 8

Dont put your fondant decorations in the fridge,they get hard inside  the fridge only once you take them out it will be worse then it initially was (texture wise). And it might get sticky to even touch. The very first time I worked with marshmallow fondant I made 3D lettersand numbers and put them in the fridge thinking they would harden but as soon as i'd take them out for a while they would become droopy and sticky

Always let fondant decorations air dry. When I used to work with marshmallow fondant, the figures i'd make would never dry completely. So I just stick to sugar paste now for 3Dish figures and make them ahead of time

ellysmith Posted 27 Jan 2017 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks!

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 27 Jan 2017 , 7:51pm
post #6 of 8

I use only marshmallow fondant, because the kids I do cakes for like to eat the items. I have never refrigerated them. They do harden, but you have to give them time. Something 3D like that I would make a week in advance. As for now, I would stick a lollipop stick or toothpicks in it and leave at room temp!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 28 Jan 2017 , 8:22am
post #7 of 8

I have used MMF and it worked fine. I place my fondant pieces in the oven and turn the light on and leave them there over night or for large pieces a day or two.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 28 Jan 2017 , 1:41pm
post #8 of 8

Well...as it was said above...refrigerating fondant decoration is not a good idea and there is nothing you can do now to save it. 

If the party is at home I'd through the unicorn onto the cake literally the minute I bring it out. It will survive for a few minutes...long enough to sing and blow the candles. Then let the kids do the "dirty work"...the unicorn will be gone into their mouths before it can say "melt" LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%