Filling Help!!

Decorating By KStreet2013 Updated 26 Jan 2017 , 12:27am by KStreet2013

KStreet2013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KStreet2013 Posted 22 Jan 2017 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 6

Hi! I made a cake for my sisters birthday party yesterday and where it tasted amazing and it looked very nice I tried something new and wasn't thrilled with the results. I would like to do it better next time, so I am seeking some advice about filling... 

She wanted a Neopolitan cake, three layers. The original recipe just called for chocolate, Strawberry and Vanilla cake with the corresponding buttercream. To make it my own, I added chocolate pudding to the chocolate layer and then fresh strawberries to the strawberry layer. The problem is, my pudding soaked into the cake and I put the vanilla layer on top of the strawberry BC and fresh strawberries and of course, the vanilla didn't stick to the strawberries so I tried adding more BC to hold it. You can imagine the struggle!!  :) 

I was thinking I should have crumb coated the chocolate layer before putting the pudding on, would that have helped? and should I do that with ANY filling?

Whats the best way to do the strawberries?

Here's what the finished cake looks like, sorry for the poor quality, for some reason it's the only one that would upload!

[postimage id="6270" thumb="900"]

Thanks in advance for any help!

5 replies
cakingandbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakingandbaking Posted 22 Jan 2017 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 6

Here's my favorite way to do a "pudding" filling: whip 2 cups of heavy whipping cream until they hold still peaks, then mix in the dry pudding mix. I've always done it that way and have never had problems with it sinking into the cake. I never use a layer of frosting under a layer of filling - in my experience, it keeps the filling from getting "traction" and makes it slide around, and the layer of cake above it slides around too.

How big were the strawberry pieces? If they were pretty small, maybe quartered, then I would imagine you shouldn't have any problems; but any bigger and they could cause issues. What kind of strawberry frosting was it (American, SMBC, etc)?

KStreet2013 Posted 24 Jan 2017 , 12:37am
post #3 of 6

American buttercream! The strawberries were sliced thin and just laid on the layer. It worked out ok, was just wondering if there was a better way. Thank you very much for the information on the pudding as well :)

cakingandbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakingandbaking Posted 24 Jan 2017 , 12:41am
post #4 of 6

Hmm that's strange that the strawberries and frosting weren't cooperating. Maybe next time try a different frosting recipe? Or freeze the cake for awhile after putting it together but before frosting the outside so that everything has a chance to set. That might help it stick together.

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 24 Jan 2017 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 6

Strawberry slices (thick or thin) would create a slick surface in the middle.  I would chop the strawberries into smaller pieces when using them in a filling.  They can be tricky.

KStreet2013 Posted 26 Jan 2017 , 12:27am
post #6 of 6

Thank you for the information!!  I'll have to experiment! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%