Covering Fruit Cake With Marzipan

Decorating By shellbell181 Updated 20 Jan 2017 , 12:40pm by Margaret393

shellbell181 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellbell181 Posted 20 Jan 2017 , 9:41am
post #1 of 4

im making my first wedding cake in a couple of weeks and the top tier is gonna be a fruit cake, usually i use crisco/trex to roll out my fondant and im just wondering if i can use that to roll out the marzipan i know u cant use cornflour because it can furment(sp!!) also i need the really sharp edges so would it be best to use the panalling method or just cover all in one, and my last question is being a fruit cake would i be able to cover the cake in fondant well ahead of time, sorry for all the questions!!

3 replies
Margaret393 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margaret393 Posted 20 Jan 2017 , 11:22am
post #2 of 4

Hi shellbell181

I made this rich fruit cake for Christmas which I uploaded to my photo album at Cake Central a few weeks ago.

Might I suggest that you make the fruit cake in advance...time  allows the cake to mature...so enhancing the flavour!

I used icing sugar to roll Marzipan...covered cake with all in one method as I wanted a bevelled finish to shape the top edge at an angle

Use the panelling method if you want a sharp edge, or perhaps two fondant smoothers which will make it easier if you go with the all in one method

My cake with covered with fondant a week before Christmas

Good luck with your first wedding cake[postimage id="6259" thumb="900"]Hope this helps!!!

Margaret393

shellbell181 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellbell181 Posted 20 Jan 2017 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 4

thanx so much for ur reply!! yes i made my fruit cake well before xmas!! been feeding it once a week up until a week ago so it can dry slightly, then once i marzipan ill leave it a few more days to harden then ill put the fondant on, i think i will go with the panelling method with the marzipan but the all in one with the fondant, ur cake is beautiful btw!! xx

Margaret393 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margaret393 Posted 20 Jan 2017 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you shellbell181 for your lovely comment!

Margaret393

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%