Does Anyone Know How To Make Edible Snow?

Decorating By shortcakes68 Updated 9 Jan 2017 , 11:28am by -K8memphis

shortcakes68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortcakes68 Posted 2 Jan 2017 , 1:33am
post #1 of 12

Hello my Cake Central peeps,

So my best friend is getting married and chose this cake for me to make.  The only thing I'm questioning is how do I get that "snowy" texture?  HELP!!!  

[postimage id="6185" thumb="900"]

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2017 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 12

one way would be to twirl some coconut in the blender or food processor and then smush it on the sides all over -- 'course if they hate coconut....

now i've never done this but a random idea you could test if they hate coconut -- use white chocolate -- melt it and spread it out thin then get it cold and break it up somehow without it melting and apply it -- but i would do this outdoors in the cold or in the walk-in otherwise you will have melty spots -- that is a definite maybe -- but i sure hope they like coconut or you find an easier way --

glazed panko? that's another definite maybe -- just use a confectioner's sugar & water or milk glaze and drizzle over a bowl of panko and mix continuously -- maybe have someone pour the drizzle for you -- y'know how they coat candy in those big hoppers?

maybe :)

-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2017 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 12

you probably would want to crush the panko -- or maybe try food processed rice krispies? 

i hope someone else pops up with a great non-coconut idea but dessicated coconut would do it like crazy -- but please do update on what works for you 

best to you

-K8memphis Posted 2 Jan 2017 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 12

hey i did a google search for the image and it says that it was done with crystal sugar -- there you go :)

"next!"

hahahahaha

lazarova75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lazarova75 Posted 2 Jan 2017 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 12

lazarova75 Posted 2 Jan 2017 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 12

Kim1182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim1182 Posted 3 Jan 2017 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 12

I did a wedding cake with this look.  I used Wilton's sugar crystals.  My cake was iced with American buttercream.  I let it chill a little (but not firm).  Then I poured the sugar crystals into my hand and rubbed them up the side of the cakes.  I had parchment paper underneath to catch the extra sugar, which I could use again.

Kim1182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim1182 Posted 3 Jan 2017 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 12

I did a wedding cake with this look.  I used Wilton's sugar crystals.  My cake was iced with American buttercream.  I let it chill a little (but not firm).  Then I poured the sugar crystals into my hand and rubbed them up the side of the cakes.  I had parchment paper underneath to catch the extra sugar, which I could use again.

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 3 Jan 2017 , 3:55pm
post #10 of 12

I have used grated almond bark or white chocolate.  I usually just use my zester and do it right on the cake.

shortcakes68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortcakes68 Posted 9 Jan 2017 , 6:48am
post #11 of 12

Thank you all so much for your advise, I really do appreciate it!!   I went with the almond bark because it seemed like the easiest and quickest way being I only had 24 hours to make this cake and a sheet cake.  But I am definately keeping all your ideas for future use.  Thanks again!!!  =D

Here is the end result.  

[postimage id="6222" thumb="900"]

-K8memphis Posted 9 Jan 2017 , 11:28am
post #12 of 12

very pretty -- wow that was a whirlwind cake! good job

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%