Scratch Cake With Egg Whites

Baking By Kim1182 Updated 6 Jan 2017 , 5:49am by siftandwhisk

Kim1182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim1182 Posted 15 Dec 2016 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 8

Recently I made an Italian coconut cake and Lane cake.  The last step of each recipe is to fold in beaten egg whites.  While in the oven they rise beautifully.  After taking them out of the oven the cakes went flat; really flat.  Both were very dense cakes.   I noticed the tops of each cake were sticky as well and difficult to torte the cakes.  Any suggestions on what is going on here?  Thanks

7 replies
sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 16 Dec 2016 , 2:46am
post #2 of 8

Did you need to cool cake upside down like an angel food cake so it wouldn't deflate?? Not sure if this is problem but angel food cake is basically whipped egg whites with dry ingredients folded in carefully.   Or the proportions are off in recipe. Some sponge cakes also ask you to cool them upside down .  Just some ideas of what might have gone wrong.   3rd-- were egg whites whipped stiff enough before you folded them into batter.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 16 Dec 2016 , 4:19am
post #3 of 8

Was it baked long enough? Sticky top and deflation could also mean it needed longer in the oven. 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Dec 2016 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 8

Really sounds like it wasn't baked long enough.

Kim1182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim1182 Posted 17 Dec 2016 , 4:05am
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the responses.  

Regarding bake time:  the sides pulled away from the pans and a toothpick inserted in the middle came out clean.  Am I missing something?

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 19 Dec 2016 , 4:15am
post #6 of 8

I agree with others about cooling it upside down if it was a bundt cake pan. Just put a wind bottle on table and turn the bundt pan upside down and let it sit till it cools.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 19 Dec 2016 , 4:17am
post #7 of 8

I tried to correct spelling above it should say wine bottle. Sorry about that. I tried to edit but CC would not allow me to edit.

siftandwhisk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
siftandwhisk Posted 6 Jan 2017 , 5:49am
post #8 of 8

Assuming you're referring to traditional Alabama Lane Cake and Italian Coconut Cake, neither of which is baked in a tube pan.  

Common causes of cake to fall:

Over creamed butter and sugar (cream on medium speed)

Over beaten egg whites (causes fast rise, then protein structure collapses and cake falls)

Oven temp too low

Too much moisture (sugar is hygroscopic)

Wet texture:

Too much sugar (creating to much moisture)*

Oven temp too low

Improperly mixed

Too much egg

*I had a white cake recipe that would turn wet as it cooled. I eventually reduced the sugar and that fixed the problem.  

I've also stopped torting cakes.  In a professional cake workshop, they taught me to bake cakes in a sheet pan, then use cake rings to cut out the layers. No torting necessary. Cake layers are symmetrical and level.  With the scrapes, use a cookie cutter to cut out miniature layers. Pop them in the freezer and you have the cake bases for individual desserts at a later date.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%