Shipping On Etsy

Business By Cakepoppers Updated 30 Nov 2016 , 1:24am by costumeczar

Cakepoppers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepoppers Posted 29 Nov 2016 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 5

I'm trying to open my shop on etsy, but i never shipped any of my cake pops. I would like to know how much does a dozen cake pops weight?? the cake pop size is 1 inch.

4 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 29 Nov 2016 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 5

It's not just the weight of your products, it's also the packaging. 

Since you haven't shipped these before, I suggest you do a few trial runs to see how they hold up. That will also let you know how much a package weighs. Then you can calculate the shipping cost.

Also, it may help to order cake pops from a couple different companies. (Market research is tax deductible :) 

Cakepoppers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepoppers Posted 29 Nov 2016 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 5

so basically don't build my etsy shop until i do my research??

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 30 Nov 2016 , 12:29am
post #4 of 5

Ditto what Mimi said! I ship pops and cookies. Depending on how I package them, and what packing material (peanuts, bubble wrap,etc) that i use, that ups the weight. I always weigh the box packed up because USPS wants the weight or an estimate of the box. Also, depending on where you are shipping it to, that will change the price. I live in Ohio, and if I ship to Indiana, it is 5.84. Texas is about 8.00, California is 11 and some change, and that is a box that weighs 2lbs.  When I started, I shipped to my friends in different areas and I paid the shipping, so now I know it will cost x amount to ship a package that weighs x. Definitely do your research before moving forward.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Nov 2016 , 1:24am
post #5 of 5

You also need to make sure that you have the right licensing to ship food across state lines. When you do that you get the FDA involved, not just your state laws. They might require a different kitchen setup than you have, and there might be exemptions based on your state's licensing, but you'll have to check.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%