Gumpaste Flowers Stored On Fruitcake

Decorating By Chloe432 Updated 17 Nov 2016 , 2:00am by Chloe432

Chloe432 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chloe432 Posted 16 Nov 2016 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 4

So I've already made a fruit cake covered it in marzipan and fondant and it's had time to dry. I've also made a few sugar (gumpaste) flowers which have dried and placed them on the fruit cake. How would I go about storing this would I just put it in a airtight container with some absorbent just in case ( silica packet rice or bread)

lim worried the moisture from the fruit cake might wilt the flowers 

i need to store it till next week and there was no way to make it closer to the day :(

thanks 

3 replies
gfbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gfbaby Posted 16 Nov 2016 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 4

[postimage id="5735" thumb="900"]

This is the top tier of a mega fruit cake I made 18 months ago. I understand the bride still has the top tier intact and the flowers, fondant cake and marzipan are apparently still good! I cant personally confirm this as I dont live near enough to see for myself, but Id hate to call her a liar.

I do however know as fact that I made the cake and completed it two whole weeks prior to moving it half across the UK (I was concerned it should have time to settle and firm up). I packed it well and not a single flower got damaged in transit so cannot have been damp or softened.

Personally I would not advise more than loose covering- to allow air to circulate and keep the flowers dry. Fruit cake does its own thing. Its a total enigma. If you made it good to start with it should be fine. Its sealed in marzipan. 

Stop panicking. If you did a good job with your gumpaste and your cakage- you should wing this. Good luck and happy baking!!

CluelessCate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CluelessCate Posted 17 Nov 2016 , 1:26am
post #3 of 4

Just store it in a ardboard box with a couple of silica packets tossed in with it and there shouldn't be any problems.  

For the past  couple of years I have made my mum a birthday cake like that.  Not being an experienced cake decorator I always have to get it done in advance and so have it sitting in my lounge room for  a couple of weeks then transporting it from Melbourne to Sydney (900ks) by car to get it to my mum where it can sit for a week before it gets cut.  Haven't had any problems (even with hit humid summer days).

The top tier of my wedding cake sat for a year in a cardboard box in a cupboard and came out looking as perfect as the day it was made.

I think you can breath easy.

Chloe432 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chloe432 Posted 17 Nov 2016 , 2:00am
post #4 of 4

Thanks, these replies are reassuring :)

its the top tier of a wedding cake which is similar in amount of flowers as your picture gfbaby.

im happy to know someone in Aus has done the same :)

i know its best to assemble on site but I'm actually involved in the wedding and have exams now so it's a bit of a tight squeeze haha but no should be good thanks for the replies 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%