How Do I Get Started?

Business By Mthecakelady Updated 15 Nov 2016 , 1:15pm by MimiFix

Mthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mthecakelady Posted 14 Nov 2016 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 3

Ok, business owners... I want to start my cake business from home. What is everything I need to make it legal?? LLC , business ins, etc??? Do's and Dont's? 

thanks all

2 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 14 Nov 2016 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 3

Start with your local Health Department. They will tell you if it can be done and what the legal requirements are where you live. If you live in the US not all states have a Cottage Food Law, or they have so many restrictions it's not really viable. I'm in Northern California. I went in and they gave me a packet with all the things I needed to know in it. It's also good to know that the permits and licenses are only good for the calendar year. So if you were to get everything done and pay all your permit fees this month you would be paying again in January so it's probably not worth it to file everything until 2017.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 15 Nov 2016 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 3

As @Pastrybaglady ‍said, it depends upon where you live. If it's in the U.S, the states that have a cottage food law regulate it differently. Some are administered by the county health department, some by local municipalities, but most are through the states' Dept of Agriculture and Markets.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%