Fondant Experts! I Need Your Help!

Decorating By YumInMyTum Updated 11 Nov 2016 , 1:46pm by nadizm

YumInMyTum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YumInMyTum Posted 6 Nov 2016 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 19

here is the cake i just made.

why are the sides of my cake never straight?

I level & torte, crumb coat, & then cover in fondant. When I smooth the fondant out, my buttercream from my crumb coat comes out! What am i doing wrong? 

I also have tearing happening! I'm using the decorator preferred fondant. Any advice?[postimage id="5597" thumb="900"]

18 replies
whatthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthecake Posted 7 Nov 2016 , 12:03am
post #2 of 19

For me it has been 1 of 2 things. 1 using way to much icing and 2 the icing was to soft and easily bulged.

msalasek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msalasek Posted 7 Nov 2016 , 12:40am
post #3 of 19

Do you freeze or refrigerate your cake before covering in fondant?

whatthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthecake Posted 7 Nov 2016 , 12:56am
post #4 of 19

I do refrigerate mine before covering them with fondant.

msalasek Posted 7 Nov 2016 , 1:09am
post #5 of 19

It is also important to chill your cake after crumb coating. Once the cake is chilled I then move on to icing it with buttercream, and using a bench scraper to get those perfect sides and edges. Then it goes back to chill in the fridge or freezer while I roll out my fondant. I take my cakes out of the refrigerator right before covering in fondant. If you follow these steps your buttercream will not bulge because the cake has been chilled, and once the cake is covered in fondant it shouldn't budge.

YumInMyTum Posted 7 Nov 2016 , 1:54am
post #6 of 19

oops i forgot to mention info chill after crumb coating! is it okay to freeze and then cover in fondant?

YumInMyTum Posted 7 Nov 2016 , 1:54am
post #7 of 19

i do chill*

msalasek Posted 7 Nov 2016 , 3:15am
post #8 of 19

Yes I would try freezing before applying fondant. This is what I typically do and I've never had any issues.

YumInMyTum Posted 7 Nov 2016 , 4:45am
post #9 of 19

how long do you freeze the cake for?

msalasek Posted 7 Nov 2016 , 11:03pm
post #10 of 19

Just freeze until the buttercream is hard, or until you can touch the cake with your finger and not leave an indent in the cake. It won't take long, mine are usually in the freezer just while I'm prepping and rolling out the fondant.

iwantcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iwantcookies Posted 8 Nov 2016 , 3:11am
post #11 of 19

If your icing layer underneath is not straight, smooth and perfect, no amount of fondant on top is going to make it look so. You have to make sure your crumb coat/final icing is smooth and and straight and lump/bump free before you apply your fondant on top. 

msalasek Posted 8 Nov 2016 , 10:30pm
post #12 of 19

I agree with @iwantcookies ‍ . Try it with your next cake and let us know how it works out!

YumInMyTum Posted 9 Nov 2016 , 4:06am
post #13 of 19

yes it was perfectly smooth! am i putting too much pressure when i smooth my fondant? it comes out from the bottom every time.

iwantcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iwantcookies Posted 9 Nov 2016 , 1:25pm
post #14 of 19

It could be a combination of too much pressure and buttercream that is beginning  to soften underneath. I always use ganache under fondant so I never have this problem, but maybe try chilling the cake til it is firm all the way through and then working quickly with the fondant to get it smoothed and neat before the buttercream begins to soften and condensation  starts to format  (cos then you will  have a whole other set of problems!!) There is a tutorial on youtube by an awsome decorator- Krazy Kool cakes- for a fondant tutorial. She usesaid buttercream, so you might pick up a few tricks?? 

karenmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenmakescakes Posted 9 Nov 2016 , 1:52pm
post #15 of 19

I never have been able to get a smooth fondant finish using buttercream.....I started using ganache to cover my cakes under the fondant and I doubt I will ever use buttercream again! I love the finish I get using ganache. And it is sooooo yummy!

msalasek Posted 9 Nov 2016 , 2:13pm
post #16 of 19

@karenmakescakes I agree that using ganache is so much easier, and comes out way nicer. But what do you do when people order vanilla cakes, or other flavors? Most of the time when my clients order vanilla cake it's because their kids or they themselves don't like chocolate. I would hate for them to order a vanilla cake, but then when they cut it open see chocolate ganache inside. 

cake.love Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake.love Posted 9 Nov 2016 , 8:32pm
post #17 of 19

I normally use ganache under fondant. I would level and crumb coat the cake, then chill and add another layer of ganache. chill again until the ganache has set and then cover with fondant. Same should work with buttercream as well. Just make sure you have covered your cake with a good layer of buttercream, not a just a crumb coat. I hope this helps

karenmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenmakescakes Posted 11 Nov 2016 , 1:21pm
post #18 of 19

I'm fairly new to the business so have never run into that issue. There is the option to use white chocolate for ganache although I have not tried it yet. A dislike for chocolate is a foreign concept to me-lol.  ;)

nadizm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadizm Posted 11 Nov 2016 , 1:46pm
post #19 of 19

I had the same problems until i started to crumb coat with ganache. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I also torte with ganache, then fill, layer it up, put it in the fridge and take it out and crumb coat it. WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!!!!! Trust me. White chocolate and milk/dark chocolate taste different from each other anyway. My kid, who hates chocolate loves the white chocolate ganache. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%