Safeway Copycat Icing??i Hate Buttetcream! Help!

Decorating By Jasminethebaker Updated 4 Nov 2016 , 1:44am by Smckinney07

Jasminethebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasminethebaker Posted 4 Nov 2016 , 12:22am
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone, I recently made buttercream for the first time, and it is frankly disgusting. I thought it would be delicious, the way everyone raves about it. Does anyone have any recipes that taste like the fluffy one from the grocery store, or like the frosting from Safeway? That icing is so good. Also, chantillí cream I believe it is called? That one is also quite delicious, but buttercream is overly sweet for me. Please help! 

1 reply
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 4 Nov 2016 , 1:44am
post #2 of 2

I assume you used an American BC: Confectioners Sugar, Butter or Shortening/or a combination of both, Vanilla and some milk, cream or other liquid.

AvalonsCakeSchool.com has a Hybrid BC that is super easy and good, it's a variation of Lauren Kitchens recipe which is like a faux SMBC (Swiss Meringue), I think it's free. Lizzo Marek of The Artisan Cake Co has a similar recipe on her blog/YouTube SugarGeeks, Kara's Couture Cakes blog and Sift by Kara also have videos and other great resources & tutorials.

I don't have a Safeway but I imagine it's a type of Stabalized Whipped Cream or some people enjoy a version using Pastry Pride. In my grocery store cake experience it's always been a very sweet shortening type American BC. 

JoePastry has a great site about all things pastry and cake related, he explains the different buttercream techniques-such as Swiss & Italian Meringues (probably the more popular along with American BC) French BC...hope that makes sense 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%