Gf Lemon Lime Olive Oil Cake - Advice Please!

Baking By jenny16 Updated 4 Nov 2016 , 8:45am by Nancylou

jenny16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny16 Posted 3 Nov 2016 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 2

I came across this delicious sounding cake in Cuisine Magazine. I've made it twice - first time following directions exactly, and again with some tweaks, because as its written, the cake come out dense and sinks in the middle... although is utterly delicious! Am hoping someone can suggest how I can get a lighter crumb and no sinking. I love that it's both gluten free and dairy free:

• 1 lemon & 2 limes: slice off ends, cut into thick slices then put in a pan with a little water and simmer for 15 mins til soft. Drain. Set aside
  • Put cooled citrus into food processor and pulse to coarsely chop
  • add 1 1/4 cups sugar, 1 tsp baking powder, 1.5 cups ground almonds, 1/2 tsp salt and process til finely mixed.
  • add 2 eggs and 1/2 cup good olive oil.
  • pour into lined loaf tin and bake for 45 mins at 170.
  • Ice cooled cake with icing sugar/lemon juice mix, with some sliced almonds sprinkled on top.

The cake is incredibly moist. I've tried swapping 1/4 cup of the ground almonds with polenta (cornmeal). I wonder whether method could be improved - beating the eggs with the sugar and oil to get more air into the cake.

Any suggestions gratefully received, it's a cake I don't want to give up on especially as it's lemon and lime season here in NZ!

1 reply
Nancylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancylou Posted 4 Nov 2016 , 8:45am
post #2 of 2

I've been gluten free for a few years now and mostly dairy free also.  I use coconut milk in place of milk/sourcream/buttermilk and either olive oil or coconut oil in place of butter.  I learned early on that baking with ground almonds/almond flour ends up coarse no matter what you do.  Maybe somebody else with more baking experience can offer help with this recipe.

If you are looking for light and fluffy, I found a GF recipe that I so, so love.  It's by Cake Paper Party.  Here is the link: http://www.cakepaperparty.com/2014/07/gluten-free-vanilla-cake/

If you don't feel like purchasing the special flours she suggested - sometimes I don't - I just substitute in an equal amount of King Arthur's multi-purpose gluten free mix.  Also, for this recipe, I sometimes substitute 1 cup of pumpkin puree in place of the buttermilk, add 2 -3 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice and this makes one tasty pumpkin spice cake.  Cupcakes work well with the recipe also.

As for lemon and lime ideas - click on the link above and post a question to the lady at Cake Paper Party.  She is really good about answering questions and offering suggestions.

I hope you are able to enjoy your lemon and lime season with lots of wonderful recipes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%