Excuse The Newbie, But~~~

Business By tlfaruque Updated 5 Nov 2016 , 11:52pm by pastychef

tlfaruque Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlfaruque Posted 1 Nov 2016 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 12

I'm a relatively new home cottage baker in Texas and trying to learn. I've been pricing according to my area, but I'd like to be accurate. A friend helped me price one of mine on excel which I can not do. I discovered that cake cost me $16 just to make.  So I now know not to feel guilt over what I charged for that one.

I've been searching for a current, free, easy cake calculator. I've come across one or two, but they are confusing to me. 

Can someone tell me how many are out there and which you rate the best?  

Thanks for any feedback~~~

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Nov 2016 , 12:22pm
post #2 of 12

i liked cake boss -- it's software that you plug in the prices of your ingredients and the recipe amounts used and supply costs, etc and it calculates costs for you -- it's a little over a hundred dollars -- great customer service -- very good solid product --

I don't know about any others -- well some people do their own on excel but other than that...

best to you

tlfaruque Posted 2 Nov 2016 , 2:49pm
post #3 of 12

Thank you, I've held off getting that because of money. And have tried a couple of free ones, but they seemed to take a lot of time.  Maybe all of them will, but I'm not at all good with Excel. 

What else do you get with Cake Boss?

tlfaruque Posted 2 Nov 2016 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 12

Ok, everyone~~~I've found a new calculator and it looks promising. And it's free. I'll let you know what I think.

I have another topic, how do you find small batches of cake boxes and treat bags? 

CookKeepBook (Information and calculator)

https://www.cookkeepbook.com/ 

pastychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastychef Posted 2 Nov 2016 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 12

I use CakeBoss as well. It's not cheap, but accurately pricing recipes is so worth it.

As for small amounts of boxes, etc., when I'm not ordering in bulk I've used Global Sugar Art since I use pink boxes.

tlfaruque Posted 2 Nov 2016 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 12

Thank you!!

-K8memphis Posted 2 Nov 2016 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 12

look for a local restaurant supply -- here in elvistown tn we have a wonderful store called 'lit's' and they sell great stuff like this at wonderful prices to the public -- but some stores like that are by membership only like 'restaurant supply' -- but some will still work with you like 'gordon's' here -- so look around you'll find something

best to you

-K8memphis Posted 2 Nov 2016 , 4:16pm
post #8 of 12

and check out cake boss's website for all the info

relaxed.png

Cookie269 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie269 Posted 3 Nov 2016 , 3:35am
post #9 of 12

Don't feel guilty about charging a lot for the cake. True that cake might have costed you $16.00 to make it, but did you add the hours you put in? A wedding dress maker might have payed a couple of hundred of dollars for the cloth they buy, but you have an idea how much they charge after the dress is made right? 

So you are charging for your time and effort you put into it. Good luck :) 

Nancylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancylou Posted 3 Nov 2016 , 7:41am
post #10 of 12

Love Cake Boss.

tlfaruque Posted 3 Nov 2016 , 1:01pm
post #11 of 12

Does everyone go through the fear of pricing?  I've looked at five or six area brick and mortar businesses and their prices, but I'm a home cottage baker.

My cakes (for now) are Bundts of various sizes, with a simple glaze that depends on the cake I make. But they are all from scratch and I use organic or real ingredients, and my cakes are pretty rich before the glaze goes on them.

Ok, sounds like I'm trying to convince myself they are worth the price. I'm seeing prices of $28 for 10" cakes.

Is Cake Boss an all-in-one source for organizing, marketing, etc?  

Is there a place on the forum to give some love to you guys on your pages, sites, etc? 

Everyone have a great day~~~thanks for all the comments.

pastychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastychef Posted 5 Nov 2016 , 11:52pm
post #12 of 12

CakeBoss is great for organizing, you can track your orders and customers, although I generally use my own method for that. It doesn't have any marketing features. I have a web designer building my website, right now I solely use a Facebook page because I've only been in business a month or so. Once my website it up, I'll have to learn to navigate the exciting world of social media marketing, using Pinterest and Instagram, and eventually maybe a YouTube channel. I feel 100 years old when it comes to that stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%