Help Please~ Ruffles & Glitter

Decorating By MrsTina Updated 7 Nov 2016 , 6:07pm by Naivohw

MrsTina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsTina Posted 1 Nov 2016 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 26

Hello all! I have been asked to make this wedding cake which has a ruffle look I have never done before, can anyone please help me go about making & attaching this kind of ruffle? Also I will be doing the glitter bottom layer. What is the best way to cover the cake with such fine glitter? I will be using buttercream frosting as a base. Thanks in advance! [postimage id="5532" thumb="900"]

25 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 1 Nov 2016 , 3:20pm
post #2 of 26

For the ruffles:   Roll out thin fondant and cut into 2" square pieces.   Put your fingertip in the middle of a square piece, and attach to the buttercream with a dot of buttercream.  Repeat with the remaining squares and put them close together so it looks like cake above.    If you were using fondant as a base for the ruffles, you would attach each piece with vodka or water or gum-glue. 

Here's another way using fondant strips: 

http://naomi-sugarspice.blogspot.com/2013/01/how-to-make-fondant-ruffles-for-cakes.html

For the edible gold sequins, you will need to make a LOT of gold gelatin sequins that are edible.  There are tutorials on cakecentral.com, but you'll have to search.   Here's a link to a youtube video:

http://www.karascouturecakes.com/edible-gelatin-sequins/

MrsTina Posted 2 Nov 2016 , 12:52am
post #3 of 26

Thanks for the info. Apti.  smiley.png I will be buying very fine, edible gold glitter. Any tips on how to apply that on buttercream?  

msalasek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msalasek Posted 2 Nov 2016 , 4:08am
post #4 of 26

I'm not sure if it will work the same way with glitter, but when I make sprinkle cakes I take a cookie sheet and pour the sprinkles onto it and shake it a little so that they all spread out evenly around the baking sheet. Then I take my chilled buttercream cake (with a cake board on the top as well as the bottom the same size as the cake) and roll it on its side in the sprinkles. I do this a couple times to get the entire cake covered and touch up where needed. Then I turn the cake right side back up and with a spoon and offset spatula pour and even out the sprinkles on top of the cake. This method even though seems hard is actually very simple and surprisingly mess free, but again I'm not sure if it would work the same way with glitter.

MrsTina Posted 2 Nov 2016 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 26

Great technique! Thanks msalasek. 

Apti Posted 2 Nov 2016 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 26

@MrsTina  -  You may have difficulty finding super-fine gold glitter that is actually edible.  Many, many bakers and decorators choose to ignore the recommendations by the FDA (food drug administration) and place super-fine glitter directly on frosting because they or the customer, want "the look".  However, disco dust is not edible, it is simply non-toxic (like a crayon is non-toxic).  Most super-fine glitters, especially in gold and silver sold for cake decorating are actually made of plastic or metal. 

Here's a quote from Global Sugar Arts:

"Hologram Gold Twinkle/Disco Dust by GSA.  Twinkle Dust, sometimes known as Disco Dust, is a Non-Toxic glitter created for the cake and craf...t industry.  Twinkle Dust can be used to accent fondant and gumpaste decorations or flowers that are removed from the cake prior to serving.  This is an extra-fine glitter with lots of sparkle.  Twinkle dust is not a food product and should not be considered as such."

https://www.globalsugarart.com/hologram-gold-twinkle-disco-dust-by-gsa.html 

In my opinion, the bakers/decorators/vendors who continue to make and display cakes and cupcakes with this non-edible plastic/metal super-fine glitter are doing both the industry and customers a huge disservice.  Now customers want "that look" and the baker must find an acceptable alternative that IS actually "edible".   

Good luck!   You may want to start another thread asking "Want EDIBLE, NOT non-toxic gold sparkle on buttercream.  Any ideas?"

Apti Posted 2 Nov 2016 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 26

Wilton makes a truly edible version in gold in both hearts and stars:

https://www.globalsugarart.com/gold-hearts-edible-accents-by-wilton.html

SweetNeddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetNeddy Posted 2 Nov 2016 , 7:23pm
post #8 of 26

I was going to mention the Wilton products as well... but be warned... they are very expensive (Joann has them for $6 for a tiny tiny jar. Wilton also has an edible gold luster dust, but it's a lighter colored gold. You might be able to mix it with vodka and paint with it, not the buttercream, but cover the tier in white, flat round sprinkles/sequins - then paint them gold (I saw a video of this, but can't find the link). 

MrsTina Posted 2 Nov 2016 , 10:49pm
post #9 of 26

Thank you both so much for this valuable information. That's sad that they can still get away with using & selling this! I will check out the link & see if she likes that. I will definitely look into another route then, I am using it on a 14" round, yeah, don't plan on paying that much for those little jars! LOL! 

msalasek Posted 3 Nov 2016 , 2:55am
post #10 of 26

I would definitely suggest cutting out little fondant circles using a piping tip, placing them on the cake, and then painting them gold with a luster dust and vodka mixture to achieve the gold color you are looking for. I would never spend that much on Wilton glitter! 

MrsTina Posted 6 Nov 2016 , 2:16am
post #11 of 26

Ok, we decided to use the gold sugar sprinkles. I know it's not going to be as sparkly, but I think it's a safer option & still has a gold look. Only trouble I'm having now is trying to figure out how much to get to completely cover a 14" round 2 layer cake. I am terrible with math & I don't want to not order enough but don't want over kill either! I saw on the Baker's Kitchen website they sell an 8 lb. carton for $72, but that sounds like a lot & is pretty expensive! Can someone PLEASE help me figure out how much I will need, I'm terrible with math! satisfied.png

Apti Posted 6 Nov 2016 , 2:24am
post #12 of 26

Great decision!   However, can't help with the math.  Can you pass the total cost of $72 + shipping on to the customer? 

msalasek Posted 6 Nov 2016 , 3:33am
post #13 of 26

$72 for just the sparkles seems like a crazy amount! Personally I would never pay that much for sparkles, I would try a different method but if this is the method you are going to go with then yes I agree you should pass this by the customer and see what they think.

SweetNeddy Posted 6 Nov 2016 , 3:35am
post #14 of 26

Here's a way to get a rough idea of how much you need. Cut a length of foil or parchment long enough to wrap around your 14" pan, and as wide as your tiers us tall plus however wide your boarder is between the 14" and the next tier (if there's a tier stacked on top of the 14", you don't need to cover the entire top with the gold). Next, crimp the edges of the foil up to make a very shallow "pan" - lightly coat the foil with dome shortening, then pour in some granulated or coarse sugar or salt (coarse is better, unless your sugar sprinkles are very fine). Pour enough to cover the foil. Now - weigh out how much sugar it took, and you'll have a pretty good idea of how much you'Lloyd need (get a little extra... you can always use gold sprinkles!).

SweetNeddy Posted 6 Nov 2016 , 3:40am
post #15 of 26

The 9" center tier is covered in about 8 oz gold glitter sugar.

[postimage id="5564" thumb="900"]

msalasek Posted 6 Nov 2016 , 3:43am
post #16 of 26

@SweetNeddy ‍ wow that's smart I would've never thought of doing that! 

SweetNeddy Posted 6 Nov 2016 , 4:40am
post #17 of 26

Thank you smiley.png

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 6 Nov 2016 , 4:57am
post #18 of 26

I would bet you could have gotten the same effect as on the sample pic by coating the tier in nonpareils sprinkles and painting gold. 

I've seen tutorials here that have tiers covered in confetti sprinkles then painted gold to give a gold sequins look.

full_6731_181717_Goldsequinscake_2.jpg

gscout73 Posted 6 Nov 2016 , 5:00am
post #19 of 26

I'm also thinking the bottom tier in your sample pic may be a styro dummy, which would eliminate risk of anyone eating metal or plastic glitter.

MrsTina Posted 6 Nov 2016 , 3:19pm
post #20 of 26

@SweetNeddy Thanks so much for the awesome idea! @gscout73 Dummy cake, clever! Something to consider as well! 

gscout73 Posted 6 Nov 2016 , 10:33pm
post #21 of 26

You're welcome. Let us see a pic of your cake when you complete it.

Naivohw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naivohw Posted 6 Nov 2016 , 11:49pm
post #22 of 26

[postimage id="5623" thumb="900"]

I did a cake based off the same picture, except the bride wanted a different texture for the middle (wafer paper). Anyway, I used the edible gold sugar crystals from Wilton (Like this one http://www.wilton.com/pearlized-sugar-gold/710-041.html) and mixed in gold disco dust so it would still sparkle when the light hit. I know it's not the best since there is still some not technically edible stuff in there, but at least the whole cake isn't coated in it.

WYBee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WYBee Posted 7 Nov 2016 , 12:43am
post #23 of 26

It looks great! I like the texture of your middle tier.

MrsTina Posted 7 Nov 2016 , 2:38am
post #24 of 26

Will do gscout73 . Naivohw the wafer paper is a nice touch also, how did you get that look & go about attaching it? Did it come in that color or did you have to brush it with luster dust? What size was your bottom tier & how much of the sugar sprinkles did you end up using?

gscout73 Posted 7 Nov 2016 , 8:46am
post #25 of 26

That is pretty, Naivohw. I still recommend against any amount of  Disco Dust. I know I would be furious if someone served me food with plastic or metal flakes because it added sparkle.

Naivohw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naivohw Posted 7 Nov 2016 , 6:07pm
post #26 of 26

To color the wafer paper pink I sprayed whole sheets of wafer paper very lightly pink with the airbrush. Then I tore it into roughly rectangular shapes, pinched the top of the rectangle together for a little extra texture look and wetted where I pinched it, then stuck it onto the cake. It is fondant under the wafer paper. I'm not going to lie, it was a colossal pain. As soon as wafer paper gets wet it gets sticky and starts to dissolve. Honestly when I started it looked absolutely horrible and I was really doubting myself, but as the tier got covered it started looking better and better. When it was all done I sprayed a little pearl luster on to give it a sheen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%