Even Cake Layers

Baking By jodie-k Updated 1 Nov 2016 , 10:35pm by jodie-k

jodie-k Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodie-k Posted 30 Oct 2016 , 4:16am
post #1 of 6

I am wondering if anyone can help me with my cake layers.  I am going to make a semi-naked cake for a friend.  My cake layers don't always come out the same though, sometimes the sides are at an angle instead of straight up and down, which I can get away with when frosting, but I don't think I can with this one.  Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

5 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 30 Oct 2016 , 5:40am
post #2 of 6

You're probably going to need to trim them to the same size. That's the whole thing with naked cakes, nowhere to hide!

Frank68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frank68 Posted 30 Oct 2016 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 6

A trick that Mitch Turner often recommends for perfectly even sides is to not only use parchment paper on the bottom, but also use it on the sides of the cake pan. You should also wrap your pans in wet cake wraps so that the sides don't overbake - you'll have a nice golden brown color. What helps me is to also rotate the cakes 180 degrees in my open and change positions of the cakes every 15 minutes (do it fast so you don't lose too much heat) - this helps counteract any hot spots in your over and promotes even baking if you're doing multiple cakes in one oven.

Let me know how it works out :) 

-Frank

jodie-k Posted 1 Nov 2016 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you for your suggestions!  If I use the parchment paper method, is nonstick cooking spray or butter still needed?  I will be making the WASC cake for a wedding, and also a strawberry cake, and both of them seem to be a bit sticky, especially the WASC cake.  I have been using the cake strips which have been SO helpful! 

One more question, I just recently took a wilton cake decorating class, and something she said was that if you are decorating a cake, to overbake it.  I've never done that in the past, nor since I took the class because I don't think it would taste very good, and I've never had a problem decorating because of it.  will that be necessary on a naked cake?  I've noticed that a lot of them have very dark edges, and my cakes don't usually have the dark edge because I use the cake strips.  Any thoughts on that?  I am a little nervous about trimming the edges because I want it to be perfectly round and I don't know if I trust myself to do that.  You should see me try to level a cake with out a cake leveler, it's not good! lol

Thanks!

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 1 Nov 2016 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 6

Never made a semi naked cake before. I am sure you can do it!!  As far as over baking your cakes, I would never do that unless it was an accident. Whoever works for Wilton telling their students to over bake their cakes is strange!!! Who wants a dry over baked cake? Not me!!! I do believe parchment paper helps the cakes to be more even because since I have started using parchment paper my cakes cook more even. Good luck with your cake. I am sure it will turn out fine!!

jodie-k Posted 1 Nov 2016 , 10:35pm
post #6 of 6

I just used the parchment paper method, and rotated them halfway through baking and they are beautiful!  Thanks you everyone for the tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%