Help I'm So Embarrassed My Bottom Tier Collapsed

Baking By Mammadukes Updated 25 Oct 2016 , 6:46pm by Mammadukes

Mammadukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mammadukes Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 11

Hi I am not a professional baker, but I love to bake and do cakes as a hobby for friends and family, they sometimes  pay for supplies and some of my time,  yesterday I finished my first 3 tier cake, it was an Alice in Wonderland cake with characters all around the cake board it was for a friends sisters baby shower, there was also 4 dozen cupcakes and cookies each. I was very pleased with how the cake came out and she liked it when she picked it up. Today I get a text saying the bottom tier collapsed

10 replies
Mammadukes Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 11

Sorry that posted twice and only half of what I wrote showed up boy I'm having a BAD DAY LOL well I was saying she picked up the cake in a car not an Suv so it sat on a back seat not completely flat I wonder if that had something to do with what happened I've used the same cakes before with 2 tiers and never had a problem before there were straws and dowels in each tier, so I thought there was plenty of  support.   I'm so embarrassed I apologized and offered some money back was wondering if this has happened to anyone else or am I just that inexperienced  

Mammadukes Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 11

[postimage id="5449" thumb="900"]

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 11

If she put cake on uneven car seat then yes this would cause cake to collapse!!  Never ever put a tiered cake on a car seat. Others here that are pretty experienced can give you information such as how to travel with tiered cakes.

A lot of people deliver such cakes in separate boxes and then put together at venue or destination. Don't get upset because this will be a learning curve for you!! Just about everyone has had some cake disasters and they learn from their mistakes. Let's wait and see what others have to say on this. Try not to beat yourself up over this!! Hang in there!!

Mammadukes Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 11

Thank you so much, I thought it might have something to do with not being on a level position , I just couldn't believe it, when she picked up 4 dozen cupcakes, 4 dozen cookies and the cake in a car,  I blame myself for not asking what type of car she had before hand though well I'm chalking it up to a learning experience thanks again at least what was least looked good 

Mammadukes Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 11

[postimage id="5450" thumb="900"]

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 11:36pm
post #7 of 11

Beautiful work! She most likely put it on the car seat if you didn't tell her specifically to put it flat on the floor. Many people have asked me to put a Cake Care sheet together so they would know what to do if they weren't serving it until the next day. I really need to do that or at least put together some cake facts along with a cutting guide for different sized cakes and send it as an attachment with an email.

Mammadukes Posted 24 Oct 2016 , 11:51pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you Pastrybaglady, I did tell her it should sit flat on a straight surface, but I didn't insist. I did just hear back from her and she said she loves my stuff and doesn't want any money back, so i offered a future discount on the christening cake lol. And I too have to start adding, cutting charts and care sheets to everybody in the email and when they pick up their cake 

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 25 Oct 2016 , 12:30am
post #9 of 11

What a nice lady, she's a keeper!

pastychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastychef Posted 25 Oct 2016 , 6:17pm
post #10 of 11

I never ever ever travel with a tiered cake, nor do I let customers pick up tiered cakes. I deliver them and stack on site, for this very reason. I have too much anxiety about the 8 million things that could go wrong... unlevel surface, potholes, stop and go traffic, hot car, etc. Your cake is amazing, though!

Mammadukes Posted 25 Oct 2016 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 11

Awe thank you Pastychef, I love baking and decorating cakes. But I definitely learned a lot on this one, thanks to all you lovely ladies with your help and kind words I know what to do and not to do, with the next tiered cake if there is one lol thanks again ☺

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%