Friday Night Cake Club For 10/7/16

Decorating By catlharper Updated 11 Oct 2016 , 12:18pm by A-CupOfTee

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 8 Oct 2016 , 3:15am
post #1 of 21

Opening up another session of the FNCC! All levels of cakers are welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help if needed or provide help if they can!

Cat

20 replies
catlharper Posted 8 Oct 2016 , 3:17am
post #2 of 21

Hi everyone!

Tonight was a big night at the Museum. Our "Miniatures" exhibit opened. We invite all of our Museum Members to submit a 7x9 or smaller work of art and then we sell raffle tickets to those who visit the museum. It is our biggest fundraiser and always tons of fun. There are all sorts of mediums involved. I was VERY tempted to submit a tiny fondant "cake" this year but ended up with one of my photographs instead. Tonight was the opening ceremonies and we got a huge turn out. 

No cake this week but can't wait to see what you all have come up with!

Cat

shdvl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shdvl Posted 8 Oct 2016 , 5:45am
post #3 of 21

Good evening. Hope everyone is safe and dry. My son had his birthday this week. For his party, I made a Magic the gathering themed cake. Using the colors and symbols of the lands I colored the cake layers and decorated the cake. His suggestion was I use a 20 sided dice for his age. That I made out of candy clay. Tommorrow I might make black lotus cupcakes since a lot of kids didn't RSVP. Pictures later.

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 8 Oct 2016 , 7:05am
post #4 of 21
LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 8 Oct 2016 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 21

I made some stuff, cupcakes and muffins, and forgot to take a photo. 

This small cake was not a paid for job, my MIL asked for a cake to have when she has her sisters over for a few days. So there were no specifics at all, or any effort really required. So I just played with fall colors then. I hope she likes it, when she picks it up today, but she'd be happy even with a white frosting crumbcoat.

Oh, and inside it is 2 pineapple up-side-downs stuck together with butter-rum cream-cheese frosting.

[postimage id="5256" thumb="900"]

hep275 Posted 8 Oct 2016 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 21

Dont know what happened to my pics.....it said it had posted successfully but they arent there!!  Here' a second attempt!![postimage id="5257" thumb="900"]

hep275 Posted 8 Oct 2016 , 1:41pm
post #7 of 21

and another pic[postimage id="5258" thumb="900"]

catlharper Posted 8 Oct 2016 , 2:57pm
post #8 of 21

Good morning all! @shdvl ‍ Cant wait to see your photos! That sounds really cool! And speaking of cool... @hep275 ‍ that Hunger Games cake is wicked cool! I love the added touch of the berries! @LelekBolek ‍ I have never considered putting pineapple upside down cakes together to make a whole cake! What an amazing idea! I know a few in my family who would LOVE that! Hope your mom in law and her sisters love it too!

Well, I'm off to work. Have a GREAT day and a wonderful weekend!

Cat

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 8 Oct 2016 , 6:25pm
post #9 of 21

@shdvl ‍ I am not at all familiar with the theme of your cake so looking forward to seeing it.

@LelekBolek ‍ that cake looks and sounds delish! Your color palette is very pretty :-) 

@hep275 ‍ your cake is very well done!  Nice and clean work and you nailed the logo.

It was another 2 cake week for me and I am toying with the idea of doing some cookies tonight for Thanksgiving.  The first cake was a gluten free vanilla birthday cake for Lindsay.  She is attending St Francois Xavier University where she plays rugby so her mom wanted those elements on the cake.  The university is often referred to as simply "X" is why the "X" on top.  She liked the look and colors of a drip cake image I had sent her is why I went that route for the cake.  She was thrilled with it :-)   My second cake was for a friend who is turning 50.  He enjoys KFC and Tim Horton's coffee so the initial design included both and I was going to make them actual size.  Unfortunately his party was canceled so the cake was scaled back for just a small family get together.  No party meant my timeline was condensed, 11am delivery instead of 4pm, but I got it done on time and was happy with it and he loved it!  Instead of a big bucket of chicken and a Tim's coffee I went with a smaller bucket from their menu which I think is meant for two people?  One of my students works at KFC so she brought me in a bucket to use as a guide so that was helpful.

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians! Hope everyone has a nice weekend :-) 

Kelly

kstevens Posted 8 Oct 2016 , 6:26pm
post #10 of 21

@shdvl ‍ I am not at all familiar with the theme of your cake so looking forward to seeing it.

@LelekBolek ‍ that cake looks and sounds delish! Your color palette is very pretty :-) 

@hep275 ‍ your cake is very well done!  Nice and clean work and you nailed the logo.

It was another 2 cake week for me and I am toying with the idea of doing some cookies tonight for Thanksgiving.  The first cake was a gluten free vanilla birthday cake for Lindsay.  She is attending St Francois Xavier University where she plays rugby so her mom wanted those elements on the cake.  The university is often referred to as simply "X" is why the "X" on top.  She liked the look and colors of a drip cake image I had sent her is why I went that route for the cake.  She was thrilled with it :-)   My second cake was for a friend who is turning 50.  He enjoys KFC and Tim Horton's coffee so the initial design included both and I was going to make them actual size.  Unfortunately his party was canceled so the cake was scaled back for just a small family get together.  No party meant my timeline was condensed, 11am delivery instead of 4pm, but I got it done on time and was happy with it and he loved it!  Instead of a big bucket of chicken and a Tim's coffee I went with a smaller bucket from their menu which I think is meant for two people?  One of my students works at KFC so she brought me in a bucket to use as a guide so that was helpful.

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Canadians! Hope everyone has a nice weekend :-) 

Kelly

kstevens Posted 8 Oct 2016 , 6:26pm
post #11 of 21

Oops! Not sure why that posted twice. Sorry....

kstevens Posted 8 Oct 2016 , 6:27pm
post #12 of 21

[postimage id="5259" thumb="900"]

kstevens Posted 8 Oct 2016 , 6:27pm
post #13 of 21

[postimage id="5260" thumb="900"]

shdvl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shdvl Posted 8 Oct 2016 , 10:06pm
post #14 of 21
LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 9 Oct 2016 , 11:18am
post #15 of 21

@kstevens ‍ - gorgeous cakes! What are the "crumbs" - cornflakes?

@hep275 ‍ love the theme! And cute berries (although I'd be cautious about eating them :-))

@shdvl ‍ - can't see your post! 

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 10 Oct 2016 , 12:48pm
post #16 of 21

Love the chicken cake!! Maybe the crumbs could be toasted coconut? I really am just guessing. That chicken is making me want fried chicken. It looks so real!!! All the cakes are nice. I also love the flower cake (1st cake shown). I love any cakes with flowers. Everyone did a great job!!!

kstevens Posted 10 Oct 2016 , 2:28pm
post #17 of 21

@LelekBolek ‍ thanks!  Yes, the crumbs are crushed cornflakes with a bit of cinnamon.  The chicken pieces themselves are made from cake mixed with icing (cake pop mixture).  For the legs I used Cadbury fingers as the bone.  I coated them all with chocolate and then icing and the cornflakes.  My initial intent was to use just the chocolate but it showed through the cornflakes too much and didn't look right.

The recipient of the cake was sending pictures to friends of the cake and everyone thought it was an actual bucket of chicken so I guess I did good :-) 

A-CupOfTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
A-CupOfTee Posted 10 Oct 2016 , 3:16pm
post #18 of 21

Well I'm still super excited about the cake I made this past weekend for Icing Smiles. It was such a rewarding feeling to be able to make this cake for someone in need. I really enjoyed making the cake and was really looking forward to meeting Princess Olivia, but mom and dad said she needed a nap after treatment and before her party. My family and I were invited to her party, which was such a sweet gesture, but once I got home I crashed on the couch, the rest of the night lol. Hope you all enjoy this as much as I did![postimage id="5267" thumb="900"]

catlharper Posted 10 Oct 2016 , 10:26pm
post #19 of 21

@kstevens ‍ Totally in love with your bucket o chicken cake! SO cool!

@A-CupOfTee ‍ I love making cakes for Icing Smiles...it really is just the greatest thing. LOVE your cake! Such a beautiful creation of Pixie Hollow!

Cat

kstevens Posted 11 Oct 2016 , 11:25am
post #20 of 21

@A-CupOfTee congrats on the Icing Smiles cake! It's cute.  I signed up some time ago but have yet to get the opportunity to do a cake.

Thanks everyone for the comments on my cakes :-)   I ended up making a pumpkin marble cheesecake for Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday at my boyfriend's brother's house ad then quickly decorated some sugar cookies for Thanksgiving at my mom's yesterday. I don't give them enough time to dry in between steps and my icing was a little too thin but they still look OK.

[postimage id="5300" thumb="900"]

A-CupOfTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
A-CupOfTee Posted 11 Oct 2016 , 12:18pm
post #21 of 21

@catlharper ‍ Thank you so much! I really enjoyed making this cake it was such a great feeling.

@kstevens ‍ Thank you! You're cookies look delicious! and the KFC Cake is amazing, great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%