Has Anybody Bought Ateco Work Mat?

Decorating By melisv Updated 11 Oct 2016 , 7:13pm by maybenot

melisv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melisv Posted 1 Oct 2016 , 1:55am
post #1 of 7

I've been thinking of buying a new silicone mat primarily for kneading and rolling fondant. Im leaning on buying the one made by Ateco.

https://www.amazon.com/Ateco-Inch-Silicone-Work-Mat/dp/B001FOPSGG/ref=sr_1_10?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1475254226&sr=1-10&keywords=silicone+fondant+mat

But im having second thoughts because I read in the reviews that it splits after some use? Has anybody tried using it? What's your experience using it?

Thanks!

6 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 2 Oct 2016 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 7

I have it, but I don't like it.  I roll my fondant on a smear of crisco and I find that the Ateco mat has become impossible to clean properly.  No matter what, it builds up static and becomes a dust magnet and remains sticky--and I've tried EVERYTHING.

My preferred surface is one piece of The Mat [https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+mat+fondant&sprefix=the+mat+%2Caps%2C241], held to the counter with water.  I wipe on some shortening and then wipe it off.  I clean it with warm water and some Dawn, let it dry, roll it into a tube for the next time.  It's so cheap using just one piece that I have no issue replacing it when needed.  I don't cut with anything sharp on it, so it usually lasts a year.

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 9 Oct 2016 , 1:37am
post #3 of 7

I have it and I love it.  I had The Mat to roll fondant, like two vinyl sheets that you roll fondant in between and I HATED it.  But I love my blue mat....I roll fondant on it and I can also flip it and place the fondant and peel mat away. HTH

maybenot Posted 9 Oct 2016 , 2:20am
post #4 of 7

I don't flip my fondant--I pick it up on my rolling pin so that the rolled-on side of the fondant is the surface visible on the cake,  That's why I only use one piece of The Mat.  I hate having the sticky side of the fondant up .

melisv Posted 9 Oct 2016 , 7:32am
post #5 of 7

can I knead fondant on The Mat? I have a feeling it will keep sliding when I knead.

melisv Posted 9 Oct 2016 , 7:34am
post #6 of 7

How long have you had your ateco mat and do you use it often? How well does it hold up? The splitting incidents mentioned in amazon worries me.

maybenot Posted 11 Oct 2016 , 7:13pm
post #7 of 7

Quote by @melisv on 2 days ago

can I knead fondant on The Mat? I have a feeling it will keep sliding when I knead.

I "stick" the piece of The Mat to the counter using water.  I wipe the area with a wet paper towel.  I apply The Mat and then squeegee out the excess water using a plastic dough scraper.  The vinyl never moves and can stay stuck that way for days on end. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%