Sps Plates, Pillars And Travel

Decorating By Miss.Reynolds Updated 9 Nov 2016 , 6:51pm by BakerBlackCat

Miss.Reynolds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miss.Reynolds Posted 21 Sep 2016 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 12

Ok, So I know there are a ton of convos on here about the SPS system and how it is a dream to work with. And I think I have read more than 20 of them. lol.  I am curious about the cakes sliding and the center dowel. To give a little bit of a back story I have a 2 hour trip to make with a 3 tier wedding cake. I am up in the air as to stacking it at the venue or assembling it partially prior to leaving. I see some SPS plates on Amazon.com but they do not have a whole in the center of the plate. How are people doing the center dowel construction? Thank you for the help. . . .Oh and if you have a better idea on how I should travel with these cakes I would appreciate that too. wink.png

11 replies
ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 22 Sep 2016 , 1:28am
post #2 of 12

What about cake frame? It looks pretty locked in.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Sep 2016 , 1:44am
post #3 of 12

You don't use a center dowel with SPS.  There's absolutely no need for it.  If you're a little skittish, stack the bottom two tiers, with the SPS plates and leg system in place.  Then when you get to the venue, just slide the top tier into place and border it or smooth out the bottom edge.  Easy.

Miss.Reynolds Posted 22 Sep 2016 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 12

Thank you ladies! I guess I was worried that the cakes will slide off with my "sudden break" crazy husband behind the wheel. I will try to stack the 2 bottom tiers and finish at the venue. Fingers are definitely crossed! smiley.png

ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 22 Sep 2016 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 12

Tell him for every unnecessary brake slam he goes a week without lovin's. Bet he'll be drivin like a grandma then ;-)

Miss.Reynolds Posted 23 Sep 2016 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 12

laughing.png @ElizabethsCakeCreations ‍ I like that plan! 

Frank68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frank68 Posted 24 Sep 2016 , 1:49pm
post #7 of 12

I've recommended this system a few times, the CakeSafe. I live in NY and you can't avoid potholes. Like leah_s said , you don't really need a center dowel but the system comes with it so I typically drill a hole through the center of SPS plates using a small diameter hole saw (the kind you use on doors when installing locks).

Miss.Reynolds Posted 26 Sep 2016 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 12

Thank you @frank68. Your work is AMAZING by the way. I looked on CakeSafe and I do like there system. I will consider giving that a try if I can fit it in her budget. One thing is causing me to tear my hair out on this one is that the bride is on an extremely tight "penny pinching"  budget and it seems no one understands what it means to actually transport a cake. 

Miss.Reynolds Posted 8 Nov 2016 , 3:18pm
post #9 of 12

Hi all. Just an update on how that cake travel went. I went ahead and bought the Bakery Crafts SPS system and I assembled at home and place ice packs at the bottom of a homemade insulated box. My bride called had told me about week before the party that she didnt want the top tier to be real (some of her guest canceled last minute and she didnt want to do the tradition and take it home etc. . . ) So I ended up making the top tier an dummy tier. I double sided taped each cake board to the sps system plate for additional support. (I saw this is a you tube video.) I was hesitant to put the dummy tier on but then I was thinking "what could go wrong? The dummy tier was going to be taped to sps anyways." Any-who, we travel to South lake Tahoe and I literally felt every bump and pothole we hit. We get the the venue and I open the box and what do you know the top tier has toppled over and is smashing into the bottom tier. I was in such a panic! I had to move all the ribbon around and place the roses on the opposite sides of where I was going to have them. Well 2 things I learned. DONT double side tape Scotch mounting tape to a styrofoam dummy cake (I dont know if it was condensation or what, but it doesnt work!) 2. Dont trust a bell hop to bring the cake 13 flights up to the venue (Im kinda blaming him lol.) However the bride and groom loved it and noone could tell it had a small crack down the sides. Here's a pic!

[postimage id="5631" thumb="900"]

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 8 Nov 2016 , 4:00pm
post #10 of 12

Great save! That's a beautiful cake. So glad everything turned out well.

No, never trust anything to a bellhop. I never allow anyone else to touch my wedding cakes. That way if anything happens, it's on me, not them.

Miss.Reynolds Posted 9 Nov 2016 , 3:27pm
post #11 of 12

Thank you @jgifford. I have definitely learned my lesson with trusting anyone! My husband was the driver to Tahoe and I'm having second guesses about him as well. lol smile.png

BakerBlackCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBlackCat Posted 9 Nov 2016 , 6:51pm
post #12 of 12

I live in Placerville, and oh I feel your pain, because there is not a straight road between here and South Lake Tahoe!  (And do not get me started on the potholes.)  Nicely done!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%