Black Scroll Work

Decorating By elipsis Updated 11 Sep 2016 , 9:59am by -K8memphis

elipsis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elipsis Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 5

What would be the best icing to use piping black scroll work on a fondant wedding cake...

I'm thinking royal icing but I'm also worried of breakage? Any suggestions?

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 5

if you go with royal sieve it first -- either through a never been worn brand new nylon stocking or a regular fine mesh sieve - that should help a lot with air bubbles in there -- which of course cause the breakage --

i would use buttercream made with black cocoa to darken it --

i just had a thought -- wonder what it would be like to use the black cocoa in piping gel -- if you wanted it shiny that might work -- I haven't tried it but it sounds interesting

-K8memphis Posted 10 Sep 2016 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 5

sometimes peeps will extrude the fondant and twirl it all around for scrollies-- that would be my dead last way to go but it's an option

elipsis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elipsis Posted 11 Sep 2016 , 1:01am
post #4 of 5

Thank you both very much for your help 

k8memphis if you were using butter cream would you use all cisco....I ask because I love on hot dry climate area?

-K8memphis Posted 11 Sep 2016 , 9:59am
post #5 of 5

maybe -- it's rare that i use anything but butter in icing -- but for exactly this i would be tempted to use the high ratio shortening -- but if i already had icing made for the filling and undercoat -- i'd probably use that just out of laziness --

and i'd suggest you make up some icing a week in advance and set up a practice spot in your kitchen -- where you can go and pick up your ready icing bag and just practice and scrape it off and leave it for the next session -- practice 10 minutes at a crack for a few days -- pipe on a board or tray or the counter top and on the side of a cake pan --

best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%