Monogram Sugar Cookies

Decorating By custard79 Updated 11 Sep 2016 , 3:01am by ypierce82

custard79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
custard79 Posted 7 Sep 2016 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 11

I have to make 100 sugar cookies with the bride and groom's initials piped on them. Was wondering what is the easiest way to go about this? I'm not very good at doing the letters free hand.  Does anyone have a good royal icing recipe to share? Thanks!

10 replies
custard79 Posted 7 Sep 2016 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 11

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Sep 2016 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 11

i use the recipe on the can of meringue or i use the egg white one on joy of baking .com --

easier than that would be to buy letter cutters and cut them out of fondant

there's just tons of different ones -- depends on how big your cookies will be and how many letters you need --

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=alphabet+cutters

and you could over pipe onto the fondant cutouts too

-K8memphis Posted 7 Sep 2016 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 11

this is your lucky day (i think) i hope you are in the states or where you can get this -- if you want it

https://www.amazon.com/Funshowcase-Alphabet-Chocolate-Decoration-Decorate/dp/B017NL12IC/ref=sr_1_44?ie=UTF8&qid=1473286463&sr=8-44&keywords=chocolate+mold+alphabet

an alphabet lace mold! can you believe this?

have you tried it yet -- mixes up easier than royal icing -- squeegee it on there -- let it set up and away you go -- could not be easier and a cute font too 

wow -- what do you think?

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 1:35am
post #6 of 11

I have this mold. It cannot be used with chocolate! The letters are too small and fine to get them out cleanly. Edible lace is probably the only thing that would work.

-K8memphis Posted 8 Sep 2016 , 10:12am
post #7 of 11

yes of course and lace is even easier than all the other mediums 

custard79 Posted 9 Sep 2016 , 2:06am
post #8 of 11

I've seen a lace alphabet mood at micheals and I was considering using this! Would the lace be ok on the cookie once it's wrapped in a cello bag? Will it melt? I was also considering fondant but I'm pretty sure it would melt on me.

-K8memphis Posted 9 Sep 2016 , 10:15am
post #9 of 11

the lace won't melt but you need to test it -- depends on what the cookie is iced with and how it's applied to the surface and then stored -- also the lace is not a big flavor enhancer -- it's bland and you want to be sure it chews up ok with the cookie -- when/if you go trying to enhance the flavor it will mess with the formula and might not set up as well -- not saying it's not possible -- it's not something I would want to mess with --

fondant shouldn't melt on you either -- 

and you need to make 100 -- that's gonna take a long time to make all those --

I've just been looking at the 'i don't want to pipe this view' but what you really need to do is print off the monogram in the exact size and font you want -- I'd print off many -- I would mount the page/s on foam core board covered with waxed paper and pipe them onto there -- after a while you'll notice that they start looking really good -- at that point go back and scrape off the previous ones because you've practiced your way into it -- finish all the 100 plus extras for breakage --

I'd use royal and I'd add gum arabic for shine and strength not 100% necessary just a nice additive -- just pipe them -- I didn't really think it through -- making 100 repeating lace pieces takes too much time for them to all cure kwim -- duh on me -- you can do this --

If you go with a mold, chocolate is by far easier because it only takes five minutes for it to set up and you could get 3-4 molds -- that's still several hours work -- no es bueno -- pipe it!

Cakemom21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemom21 Posted 11 Sep 2016 , 12:23am
post #10 of 11

I made some cookies a couple months back and used a stencil with royal icing. You can buy stencils, (I made mine on my Silhouette Cameo). I watched some videos from Julia Usher and practiced. They came out nice, but wish I would have practiced a bit more. I always wait until last minute.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 11 Sep 2016 , 3:01am
post #11 of 11

What about royal icing transfers?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%