Painting Over Black Or Dark Fondant

Decorating By ylescu Updated 31 Aug 2016 , 3:49am by Creativeconfectioner

ylescu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ylescu Posted 19 Aug 2016 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 7

Has anyone had luck with this?

I have dark blue and black fondant that I'd like to paint mexican flowers on. Is there a particular way to mix paste or gel colors to get it to show up on the fondant? And is there a way to avoid it getting streaky-looking? When I try to paint over what I've already painted it either gets streaky or the paint gets pulled off/erased/ or lifted, if that makes any sense. 

Hope someone has some tips to share :) TIA!

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Aug 2016 , 10:35am
post #2 of 7

i don't do a lot of painting on fondant -- i understand your problem -- i often use alcohol and airbrush color for painting but i guess that's in my airbrush mostly -- what are you thinning the color with?

ylescu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ylescu Posted 20 Aug 2016 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 7

I'm using vodka to thin the paste color. I'm also thinking of mixing in some white gel paste to increase the opacity of the paint, but somehow I can't keep the color from lifting off whenever I brush over a portion I want to darken or thicken.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Aug 2016 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 7

oh i tell yah -- white color is the weirdest product imaginable -- i would recommend ditching it -- food color is not like paint at all -- try it without the white -- see how that goes

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 22 Aug 2016 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 7

Try using cocoa butter as a base for the "paint" instead?

chocolate0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolate0 Posted 22 Aug 2016 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 7

Thinned down food coloring would not work, logically. It works on white because the color easily shows through, but I'd probably make a shortening based buttercream and color it very vividly, and then paint it on very thick, and if possible, use colors that contrast with the background (yellow, red, ect.)

Creativeconfectioner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativeconfectioner Posted 31 Aug 2016 , 3:49am
post #7 of 7

When ever I stencil lace on ivory cakes,  I use americolour white in the royal icing mix to ensure a true opaque white...otherwise the fondant colour comes through....I think this idea would also work with gel colours.....I found a blog that actually tried it....hope it helps :)

http://cakesdecor.com/topics/2592-painting-onto-black-fondant

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%