Fondant Tips And Tricks Wanted!

Decorating By sykescakes Updated 17 Aug 2016 , 12:52am by CindiM

sykescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sykescakes Posted 16 Aug 2016 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 6

Okay so I have only worked with fondant a few times but I've have the same problems each time. My first problem is that the powdered sugar or corn starch that I use to roll the fondant out always leave dusty white spots. So I try to 'dust' them off with a clean dry paint brush and it doesn't work. I then try to wet the brush a little and the fondant gets all tacky there and sometimes drys with a gloss on those places. My other problem is the fondand (homemade MMF and wilton brand) never seems to dry properly.

So I'm looking to see if any one has any tip or tricks to avoid these issues or any issues that come up when using fondant. I'm a hobby baker so I only use it now and again, but would love to get better at it.

5 replies
640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 16 Aug 2016 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 6

My airbrush gun (empty) does the trick for me to remove any leftover dust.  I've also seen some use a hairdryer.  I don't like MMF, nor Wilton.  I use MFF - Michele Foster Fondant - recipe here on CC.  I also like modeling chocolate and will use that as much as possible.  

As far as drying - do you mean a covered cake or fondant decorations?

sykescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sykescakes Posted 16 Aug 2016 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for your responce! I have never seen the MFF, I'll have to try it out.

So the last cake I made I had trouble with both the decorations and the cake not drying. It was also very humid here but I have had trouble with that in the past.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Aug 2016 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 6

i haven't covered a  cake with it yet well i did but i didn't leave it on the cake dummy and took it off before it set up -- but i like wilton fondant -- first time i used it was this week (well i used some like 10 years ago but this new stuff is way different thank goodness) -- it was just kneaded very little and rolled it out and it was great -- i didn't use anything extra, no powders, not on the table not kneaded in -- and then i made some flowers that set up beautifully with just cornstarch kneaded in --

but i will take that to heart and maybe knead in some cs when i roll it out to cover my styro foam -- my husband is gonna roll it out for me -- maybe i will test it first to see how it dries up without any cs first -- 

you can buff the surface with a smooth blob of fondant -- but of course never wet your fondant to clean it -- you shouldn't have to use much powder underneath it -- you should not have pockets of powder to scrub off -- you're using too much if you are --

some people, bronwen webber to be exact, sprays off their cakes with alcohol in their air brush <<< another idea -- duff might do that too --

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 16 Aug 2016 , 6:24pm
post #5 of 6

I would bet those are issues due to the fondant you're using - the new Wilton fondant is very soft.  I have covered cake boards with it, never a cake, but I can see that being an issue.  And MMF stays very greasy for me, no matter how much sugar I add.  Once it sets, the grease seems to come out :( 

For your decorations, you can add either Tylose or cornstarch to help it along.

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 17 Aug 2016 , 12:52am
post #6 of 6

Hi Sykes Cakes

I never use corn starch/powdered sugar. 

You can put some shortening on the counter to stop the sticking.

Or get a piece of cheap, clear, thick upholstery type, plastic sheeting/mat from a fabric store or Walmart.  Cut it smaller to the size (30x30 inch or smaller) ,  you need to cover the area to roll the fondant.  You can put some shortening on it, if your fondant sticks.  But, it should not stick.  Then roll the fondant on the clean plastic mat.  You can tape the mat down or use shelf liner/ grip liner, to hold it flat.

I use silicone mats now, which are perfect! 

but I did the plastic sheet thing when I first started with fondant, years ago.  You can lift up the fondant by rolling it on to a large PVC plastic pipe/rolling pin and then drape it over your cake.  Or you can lift the sheet up and flip the fondant on to the cake.   I use Satin Ice Fondant and love it.  I hope this works for you. 

And I always work in an air conditioned room, so I don't have a humidity problem with sticking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%