Will Heat Affect My Fondant?

Decorating By sykescakes Updated 12 Aug 2016 , 12:02pm by sykescakes

sykescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sykescakes Posted 12 Aug 2016 , 11:45am
post #1 of 5

Hello! I'm making a cake for a friend for Saturday. It will be a book cake with a graduation cap on top (he just got his masters). I have worked with fondant a few times before and am pretty comfortable with it. The thing that is worrying me is the temps around here are in the high 90s. The frosting underneath will be IMBC which seems to hold up pretty well in the heat. Will the heat and humidity affect the fondant? The only room in my appartment that has AC is the bedroom and I rather not decorate the cake in there lol. My plan right now is to make sure it gets a good chill in the fridge befor I add the fondant and then once it's all decorated put it in the bedroom to sit overnight.

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Aug 2016 , 11:51am
post #2 of 5

If it's in the fridge and you take it out, it's going to form condensation on it and be sticky. You might be better off just leaving it at room temp. Fondant won't melt, but it will get sticky temporarily until the temperature it's at equalizes with the temperature of the room, if there's humidity involved.

sykescakes Posted 12 Aug 2016 , 11:54am
post #3 of 5

So I shouldn't chill the cake before I add the fondant?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Aug 2016 , 11:56am
post #4 of 5

You can, it will make it stiffer and easier to put the fondant on if the icing is hard. I personally do everything at room temp (but I have air conditioning) without refrigerating when I cover things with fondant, but that's me. It's when you refrigerate the fondant that it will form condensation.

I thought you were going to put the fondant in the fridge, but as I re-read your original post it looks like you were only going to do the cake? That will work. I need more caffeine.

sykescakes Posted 12 Aug 2016 , 12:02pm
post #5 of 5

Oh gotcha! No I won't put the cake in the fridge once the fondant is on, just in the room with the AC. The weather here had been pretty mild and then of cource right before I need to make this cake it shoots to over 90 and the humidity makes everything sticky. I guess we should have invested in a few more AC units....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%