Cake Sculpting

Decorating By mpaigew Updated 29 Jan 2007 , 8:06pm by mpaigew

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 11:49am
post #1 of 12

Do you use a different recipe if you are going to be sculpting a cake? I've have been wanting to try a sculpted cake, but haven't because I can't imagine that my normal cake would hold up.

Thanks!

11 replies
Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 11:59am
post #2 of 12

I'm bumping yu because I would like to know this too!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 12:03pm
post #3 of 12

Good question, Bump!

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 12:11pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaigew

Do you use a different recipe if you are going to be sculpting a cake? I've have been wanting to try a sculpted cake, but haven't because I can't imagine that my normal cake would hold up.

Thanks!

Paige
I use mudcakes and buttercakes for sculpting. I make cakes from scratch, buttercakes made from butter have the texture of a pound cake, well maybe a little lighter, but they as well as mudcakes hold up very very well.
cheers
Nati

Michelle104 Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 12:25pm
post #5 of 12

Can you share the mudcake and/or buttercake recipes? Are they on this site? icon_lol.gif

Thanks! Michelle

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 12:29pm
post #6 of 12

Here is the link to all my recipes on this site. Just a warning, the temperature is wrong on most of the MUDCAKE recipes. ALL my mudcake recipes should be baked at 160C, not 180C. Most also take 1+ hours to bake.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe_query-contributerbrowse-boonenati.html
cheers
Nati

Edited to say:The versatile buttercake is the one i've carved to make sculpted cakes with, made with butter. I've never tried to sculpt the chocolate buttercake.

Michelle104 Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 12:36pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonenati

Here is the link to all my recipes on this site. Just a warning, the temperature is wrong on most of the MUDCAKE recipes. ALL my mudcake recipes should be baked at 160C, not 180C. Most also take 1+ hours to bake.[/i]

Do you know how I can translate that into the degrees that we use in the states on our ovens? Did that sound stupid? icon_rolleyes.gif

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 2:06pm
post #8 of 12

160 Celcius is 320 deg F. Here is a page with a temp conversion calculator:

www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm

I recently tried the chocolate mudcake and loved it. So yummy and rich!!! I'll have to try the buttercake sometime soon.....

Courtney

Birdlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Birdlady Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 2:11pm
post #9 of 12

Hi

I have found that the best cake for me when sculpting, is pound cake. They are very heavy and dense. They can take the abuse and still stand up well. I find that you can work with them longer.

good luck

Dawn

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 2:14pm
post #10 of 12

I use Madeira cake, is very dry, and it taste more like a soft cookies than like cake, but is good and more important, it holds for transportation

loveqm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveqm Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 2:17pm
post #11 of 12

saving...

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 8:06pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks for the info girls! I only make scratch cakes, but my tried and true recipes just seem like they would be too "soft." Thanks for the ideas!

Paige

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%