Baking A 18 Inch Square Cake Layer. Please Help!

Baking By ch5964 Updated 6 Aug 2016 , 11:56am by MimiFix

ch5964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ch5964 Posted 5 Aug 2016 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Guys, Ok have a dilemma. My 18 inch square pan will not fit on the middle rack of gas oven. I have a convection fan in there ( which I dont use) that makes it jut out a little to far to close the oven door all the way. I can use any of the racks above or below; but have never baked on those; only in the middle. Can anyone please help me with this? I cannot separate the 18 inch; and use multiple layers as this will be the base for a ginormous wedding cake and I need the stability of 1 large layer versus several layers side by side.

I hope this made sense.. getting more coffee!!

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Aug 2016 , 1:00pm
post #2 of 5

there's no loss of stability to using four nine inch cakes per layer -- otherwise take out the fan or idk know about a lower rack could be asking for trouble -- gotta run...be back later hopefully others will have chimes in too

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 5 Aug 2016 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 5

My 18" square has a flat lip on all 4 sides -- I just needed to bend 2 of the 4 lips upright so the oven door would close.

ch5964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ch5964 Posted 5 Aug 2016 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 5

Hi cwr41; mu husband wanted to take it to welding dept to burn that edge off.. I said NO!! lol However; GREAT idea of bending the lips up; thank you :)

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 11:56am
post #5 of 5

You can bake on a different shelf. For a lower shelf: stop excess bottom heat by placing your cake pan on one or two rimless cookie sheets. For an upper shelf: slide aluminum foil over the top, partway through the bake time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%