Elmo Cake Help Please.

Decorating By sweetlinxo Updated 1 Aug 2016 , 11:25am by -K8memphis

sweetlinxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlinxo Posted 30 Jul 2016 , 2:39am
post #1 of 19

I would like to make a cute little Elmo cake for a dear friend of mine (like the pic I posted) and had a couple of questions. I wanted to know how the whole body was constructed (body, arms, head, legs) and how I should support it on the bottom tier? And I know this might sound like a crazy question but I thought I'd just ask, she wants it to be chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. Any tips on how I should go about doing that as well??? I would greatly appreciate any kind of help! Thank you!

[postimage id="4787" thumb="900"]

18 replies
sweetlinxo Posted 30 Jul 2016 , 2:45am
post #2 of 19

About the chocolate frosting question. What I meant to say is would it taste ok if I filled the cake with chocolate frosting and made the outside royal icing?

sweetlinxo Posted 30 Jul 2016 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 19

Anyone?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Jul 2016 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 19

this gives you basic sculpting of a head and arms and rounded items:

http://www.cakecentral.com/tutorial/20225/step-by-step-3d-cake-sculpting-baby-in-a-flower-pot

this gives you how to stack and dowel plus a lot of other great tutorials:

http://www.finecooking.com/item/59299/episode-5-doweling-and-stacking-multi-tiered-cakes

yes you can fill with chocolate icing but i would not use royal icing for the fur -- i'd use buttercream

sweetlinxo Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 6:05am
post #5 of 19

Thank you for your help!!! Yes I really want to do BC frosting but the weather is really warm here and was afraid it might melt. The BC frosting I use consist of all butter. Do you know of a recipe that would hold up pretty well in a warm climate? @-K8memphis ‍ 

-K8memphis Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 11:16am
post #6 of 19

add a quarter cup of the finest flour* you can get to every 7 to 8 cups of powdered sugar you use -- a normal recipe of American buttercream 

* wondra flour or cake flour -- even all purpose flour will work

sweetlinxo Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 11:24am
post #7 of 19

Interesting. Never heard of this before. I will certainly give it a try. I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you again!

-K8memphis Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 11:45am
post #8 of 19

http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/4123/high-humidity-buttercream

there may be other recipes but that's one and the flour is the big deal -- if you just eat a fingerfull of icing it drags a bit down the back of you throat but when you eat it with cake it goes down fine -- holds up really well -- 

looking forward to your masterpiece -- allow twice as much time as you think you'll need -- 

use a 'grass tip' to pipe the fur --

best to you 

do you think that Elmo in the picture is a cake or a stuffed toy?

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 12:25pm
post #9 of 19

If you're not confident with your sculpting skills (as I am!), you can also use the 3D bear pan to make a baby elmo cake. You then just need to cut the ears and tail off.

http://rss-baby-shower-cakes.blogspot.ca/2008/04/elmo.html

This is not a cake I've done, but this is what I would do!

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 12:29pm
post #10 of 19

Oops, can not edit my post. You also have to cut the snout off

Sim108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sim108 Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 5:40pm
post #11 of 19

Laetia, that is such a great idea. I wouldn't be confident enough to carve/sculptor it out of cake so your idea would be less stressful for me.

Sweetlinxo, I did find a youtube video

, it wasn't Elmo but she shows you how to make and carve a Teddy Bear cake. I'm sure with a few minor adjustment it would make a great Elmo.

-K8memphis Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 6:46pm
post #12 of 19

wow great idea 

sweetlinxo Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 9:48pm
post #13 of 19

That is s great idea! Wish I thought of that sooner. I had actually bought a wonder mold from online and was thinking about using that as the body and rkt for the limbs, because I HATE carving too!!! Lol. Thanks for helping guys! @Laetia @Sim108 ‍ 

@-K8memphis ‍ in a more clearer pic, it actually looks like he's covered in fondant. I actually would like to do it that way instead, because I really like the look, and I wouldn't have to worry about it melting, but man does it sound like its gonna be a real pain in the neck trying to cover all that with fondant! Lol

sweetlinxo Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 10:29pm
post #14 of 19

Here's clearer pic of a similar cake. 

[postimage id="4815" thumb="900"]

-K8memphis Posted 31 Jul 2016 , 11:19pm
post #15 of 19

it would cover easier with candy clay but you gotta watch the heat -- if you can keep it going in & out the fridge you could get there -- 

and then yeah it looks like the fur is snipped with scissors huh

sweetlinxo Posted 1 Aug 2016 , 12:04am
post #16 of 19

Lol yes! That's exactly what I was gonna do, snip it all over! I'm not sure I'll have room in my fridge:(

-K8memphis Posted 1 Aug 2016 , 12:14am
post #17 of 19

y'know though fondant would work in patches because you can hide all your seams in this anyway -- do each limb then the body, head and diaper -- would work fine in fondant too -- well i guess do the body before the arms but you knew that anyway 

sweetlinxo Posted 1 Aug 2016 , 2:36am
post #18 of 19

Yes that's what I was thinking about doing. I think I'm gonna use the wonder mold for his body and rkt for his limbs. I'm just trying to figure out how I'm gonna attach the arms securely without it falling off. @-K8memphis ‍ 

-K8memphis Posted 1 Aug 2016 , 11:25am
post #19 of 19

bamboo skewers would hold them on

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%