Guidance Needed With Making This Wedding Cake

Decorating By DDarkey Updated 27 Jul 2016 , 11:36am by costumeczar

DDarkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDarkey Posted 27 Jul 2016 , 11:24am
post #1 of 2

My brother is getting married in two weeks time and I was asked to make this five tier wedding cake (pink flowers instead). Its kind of like a gift. He is providing the cost of the ingredients and materials.

Based on what they could afford, I decided to do four tiers instead - 2 dummies and two real cakes (12", 10", 8" & 6"). 

The first two tiers will be cake. The bottom tier will be sponge, second tier fruit, third and fourth tier will be dummies.

I was wondering what was placed on the top tier to adhere the gumpaste flowers. I am thinking about using oasis.

If I use oasis would I get the same effect like that of the top tier?

How were the flowers adhered to the cake and oasis were wires inserted in the flowers or the flowers were made without wires?

How was the flowers stuck to the top?

The cascading flowers were they made just like that or with wires...was wondering if it was inserted or adhered with probably royal icing? 

I am thinking about using foamcore for the base of the bottom and second tier.

I already have wooden dowel rods was thinking about just using those instead of buying the plastic ones, How many wou"":hld be needed for each tier?

Any other advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

[postimage id="4747" thumb="900"]

1 reply
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Jul 2016 , 11:36am
post #2 of 2

If those were real cake the flowers were probably just put on top using icing or wired into a bunch. The ones on the side were just stuck on with royal icing, no wires would be needed for those.

Since you're doing the top two tiers in Styrofoam you could use a half-round Styrofoam piece and cover it in fondant, then stick unwired flowers to it for the top. That might be how the top on the one in the photo was done, too, who knows...

You could use wooden dowels for the bottom tier, and the fruitcake tier should be dense enough that you don't need to dowel it if you're just putting Styrofoam tiers on top of that. If you want to dowel it anyway you could, but I wouldn't bother if I was doing it. If the fruitcake is soft, though, dowel it just for safety.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%