Bases And Boxes For Buttercream Drip Cakes?

Decorating By Natiflor09 Updated 19 Jul 2016 , 1:16pm by Magic Mouthfuls

Natiflor09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natiflor09 Posted 19 Jul 2016 , 1:06am
post #1 of 3

I need a solution for packaging and I'm kind of in a rut with ideas.

I've had several buttercream drip cake orders and my trouble is packaging for delivery and take away. I like plastic containers because they catch any sauce if the drip is runny and keeps the cake in place. The plastic base is ugly in terms of presentation but also cost effective. Problem is the lids are simply not tall enough and I cannot order other tall containers online where I live. 

The other option is using a nice base and cake box which I usually "tent" for tall cakes. A base looks much nicer but I ran into a sliding issue last week with one of those regular gold bases and I'd hate for that to happen again. The strawberry sauce was a little runny and when the cake slid the sauce pooled all together and started running off the edge. Total mess. So i don't think they're too reliable especially for the client to travel with. So should I be using fondant covered styrofoam bases?? Is that what most are doing? I don't love the idea of adding extra costs to the final price so I'd prefer another option if possible 

I've thought of doing a hybrid type thing using the black plastic base and a tented cake box but the thought of lids going to waste bothers me a bit. So what are you doing? Any other ideas or suggestions? 

2 replies
mariecar6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariecar6 Posted 19 Jul 2016 , 2:42am
post #2 of 3

Hi. I really wish you had some pictures of your bc drip cakes and what you usually use to deliver them in. You might also consider adding a few more details, like how tall your cakes are or if there's more than one level.

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 19 Jul 2016 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 3

Your drip cakes must be very different to what I imagine a drip cake to be.  

In Australia the 'Kathryn Sabbath' style drip cake is huge at the moment - but when finished it is a fully dry drip - there is no mess to contain, you can touch the drip without damage.  It is not 'sauce' but a flavoured ganache or royal icing or chocolate drip.   And a standard cake board and standard cake box is all that is required.  If your cake is slipping off the board, then you need to 'glue' it on with buttercream first.  If your board is slipping in the box, then buy some non slip mat from the dollar store.

All good cake decorating supplies stores will stock cake boxes that are tall enough for multi-tier cakes, so no need to tent a standard box either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%