Has Anyone Seen A Cake Stand/separators Like This Lately? Emergency!

Decorating By taytay056 Updated 7 Aug 2016 , 11:50pm by Apti

taytay056 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taytay056 Posted 17 Jul 2016 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 33

A potential client contacted me today wanting to recreate her parents wedding cake for their 50 year anniversary. In 2 weeks. Ugh. Anyway, I need money and don't want to disappoint so I said sure, show me what you've got. And this is what she wants. [postimage id="4641" thumb="900"]

32 replies
SweetBitesMs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBitesMs Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 1:06am
post #2 of 33

Hobby Lobby

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 4:20am
post #3 of 33

Those were discontinued in the 1970's or thereabouts.  You may find some on sites like eBay.

Here's an example of a set that has yellowed from age:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Wilton-2-Tier-Cake-Plate-Separators-Pillars-Lacy-Corners-/331900544491?hash=item4d46d065eb:g:U1wAAOSwLnBXUrSc   

SweetBitesMs,  Did you actually see a set or were you just giving a good college try?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 11:15am
post #4 of 33

don't worry about yellowing -- brush with egg white & water mixture and sprinkle on granulated sugar -- covers completely gives a sparkling look --

don't know how much of a piper you are but you could pipe those filigree pieces easy peasy in royal icing and place onto any pillar for the same effect 

those are Roman style pillars btw probably by wilton

best to you looks like fun

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 11:18am
post #5 of 33

and of course there's a couple sprigs of lily of the valley meandering around a couple of the filigreed pillars -- short little tiers huh

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 11:20am
post #6 of 33

each pilla gets two royal icing filigree pieces that join there making the corner edge

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 11:21am
post #7 of 33

just make a right and left pattern

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 11:23am
post #8 of 33

taller pillars on bottom tier maybe 7" then 4-5" pillars on the other two so adjust your filigree pattern for that

i love stuff like this -- 

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 11:27am
post #9 of 33

i started baking professionally a few years after these folks got married and started decorating a few years after that 

blush.png

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 11:31am
post #10 of 33

8 filigree panels 7" tall (4 right 4 left)

16 filigree panels 4-5" tall (8 right 8 left)

you got this -- can't wait for pictures

taytay056 Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 2:45pm
post #11 of 33

Memphis, you are my hero! I hadn't even thought of making the lace corners out of royal. I don't do too much piping (mostly fondant work) but I can. I think I will probably go that route since the sets available on eBay are missing some of the corners anyway. 

Now when I said I don't do much piping, I really mean it. And this picture isn't the clearest but is the best we have to work with. Can you tell, or imagine, what type of borders this has? And the flowers on top? Leaves in the middle? Any other insights?

Sorry to ask so many questions. I'm not really a beginner (I've been decorating for 7 years) but I veered in the direction of carved/sculpted, fondant, etc. years ago. 

taytay056 Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 2:47pm
post #12 of 33

Apti, how in the world did you find those? I searched for hours!!

Apti Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 3:11pm
post #13 of 33

I'm retired and have absolutely nothing to do but surf the internet, lol

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 3:49pm
post #14 of 33

looks like a robust shell border and some simple swags on the side -- old fashioned loveliness --

hey guess what -- it's got bells on it  -- maybe 1", 1.5" bells -- I didn't notice till I looked closer --

and it looks like genuine blabla in the center of the pillars :) it might be plastic swans -- those were big back then but you could put a couple roses? 

but the bells could be either plastic -- I bet they are 'cause while this is a sweet cake it's not heavy on design -- don't even know if they make these anymore -- or they could also be made out of sugar & water like a panoramic egg -- 'member that stuff -- I think I actually have a mold -- hey you could do chocolate!

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 6:11pm
post #15 of 33

Aw- too bad I sold all of this crap when I closed my shop!

I bet if I look thru my old books I could find the pic that this was taken from!  :)

Yup- side design looks like basic scroll work "C's" and some stringwork, plastic or sugar bells in between tiers - probably with a smattering of silver foil leaves and silk lily of the ivy for good measure! 

I would say do either gumpaste or chocolate bells and roses in between the tiers....and use a single-plate method of construction, if possible!  Those wilton double-plate systems are a nightmare waiting to happen!  The filigree pieces (whether plastic or royal icing) can be set in place with a push-in type pillar. I've done it before.

the photo looks like there is actually a 4th cake tier on the bottom!

taytay056 Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 6:17pm
post #16 of 33

Yes, there is another tier underneath it all, which is nice since I'm replicating this cake for 150 people. I'm planning to use new cake plates and Grecian pillars, and I did find these filigree corners on eBay so I will soak them in oxyclean to try to whiten them up. 

My next google image search binge will be for 1966 Wilton wedding cakes...maybe I'll find a clearer picture!

thanks everyone! I appreciate the input. Don't stop now!!

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 6:17pm
post #17 of 33

not to mention am enjoying being yourhero heart_eyes.png thanks!

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 6:18pm
post #18 of 33

wow -- you really scored -- congratulations!

taytay056 Posted 25 Jul 2016 , 4:30pm
post #19 of 33

[postimage id="4729" thumb="900"]I have a new question! We can't locate the original topper without tipping off the anniversary couple (surprise party!) and I can't find a replica for sale...so I was thinking I will either to a nice looking 50 on top, or get a vintage anniversary topper to complete "the look". Opinions?

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jul 2016 , 4:37pm
post #20 of 33

i think i like the 50th  topper you found -- if you can find those paper lily of the valley on the covered wire dooeys you could wrap them around the rings for more of the original look -- but just a passing thought --

i vote for the topper 

but a "50" is cool too -- in fact if you found the lily of the valley dooeys you could fashion an arch and put it over the "50" and it would be less expensive, less stressful with shipping and also very like the original -- put it on a footed stand -- even better 

Apti Posted 25 Jul 2016 , 7:18pm
post #21 of 33

I vote for the topper!  Wow!  Can't believe you found that. 

I like the grey hair....  Early on when I was learning cake decorating, I made some soccer cakes for boys and girls teams.  I used the Wilton plastic soccer figurines and painted on ponytails with a magic marker and then made teeny-tiny ponytails for a girls team.  I'm sure when Wilton made the original plastic soccer set that girls didn't play sports yet, lol.   Anyway, the moral of the story is that you can add all sorts of details to the plastic to re-create the look of the cake from 1950.

btw, K8memphis--your idea about coating with egg white and putting on sugar is Brilliant!!!

Here's my girls soccer team cake (made about 1 year into cake decorating).  One of the girls provided the best compliment I may ever receive when she said, "I want to marry this cake!"

https://christinascakes.shutterfly.com/pictures/369

Apti Posted 25 Jul 2016 , 7:22pm
post #22 of 33

Dang it...the edit feature is still broken.  I meant to say I made the bows on the magic marker ponytails with royal icing. 

I can't wait until you share the pictures and story of this 50th anniversary surprise party!!!!!

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 25 Jul 2016 , 9:52pm
post #23 of 33

We have a 50th anniversary order for next month vintage look and it will be 3 different cakes on stands each cake will have a gold framed photo on top of the couple on their wedding day. I'm super excited about this one I don't know what is was but when I was looking for cakes for inspiration I really fell in love with the whole vintage type cakes. Maybe it's the fact that they are celebrating 50 years of marriage but I'm really excited and loved this thread too. Can't wait to see how yours turns out :)

taytay056 Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 11:05pm
post #24 of 33

I'm back! So, the cakes are baked and frozen, I made a bunch of sugar bells and I have the plates, dowels and lace corners...tomorrow is the day I decorate, which I am dreading. As I mentioned before I don't do much buttercream. 

So here is my next question- robust shell and 'c' scroll work, as well as string work were mentioned...and as silly as it might be I'm not really sure I know what those look like/how to do them. Does anyone have pics or tutorials they can guide me to? I'm so nervous about this, and I just wish I could see the cake more clearly!!

-K8memphis Posted 4 Aug 2016 , 11:58pm
post #25 of 33

i meant big shell border, use a fat tip -- the beauty of your photograph not being clear is that you can make it up a bit as you go --

check out this link:

http://www.goodthingsbydavid.com/2013/05/vintage-wilton-wedding-cakes.html

check out the 'candlelight cake' -- 5th picture down -- those are swags and string work on the sides-- there's c scrolls on the 'champagne honeymoon cake' -- and on the 'kolor flo fountain' you can see swags and strings and fat shells --

make it something like that

taytay056 Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 8:34pm
post #26 of 33

[postimage id="4872" thumb="900"]Well, here it is! 

Nana52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nana52 Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 8:39pm
post #27 of 33

WOW!

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 8:49pm
post #28 of 33

Beautifull, You really nailed it!

Finaly did you pipe the corner panels with royal?. They look so nice. I bet your client and the surprised anniversary couple where very pleased. 

-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 9:01pm
post #29 of 33

oh I love it -- it's amazing -- nostalgic perfection -- your sugar bells are translucent -- lovely -- and the ones just hanging out between tiers -- just right -- yeah what laetia said "you nailed it!" -- oh and you even got the lily of the valleys -- making me tear up -- you did a great job

insert clapping hands clap.png standing O smilie faceexclamation.png

taytay056 Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 9:03pm
post #30 of 33

Thanks so much!! Sugar bells were surprisingly easy to make! And no, I got lucky with the corner panels...found them on eBay!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%