Stabilized Whipped Cream For A Wedding Cake?

Decorating By bridinney Updated 18 Jul 2016 , 4:29am by Apti

bridinney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridinney Posted 17 Jul 2016 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone. I am making my first wedding cake for this upcoming  weekend. I am making it three tier and the largest tier will be vanilla. I was wanting to do a stabilized whipped cream filling with a box of instant pudding added but wasn't sure how long it would stay up. I plan to fill and frost with BC Thursday night,  cover with fondant Friday and deliver Saturday. It is my aunty's wedding so I cannot push everything back a day and fill on Friday. (I am also working all week so no time to fill and fondant on the same day) I am making the cake at cost so I am not too worried if the icing isn't perfect but I don't want it to seep through the fondant. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance. 

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jul 2016 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 9

Quote by @bridinney on 37 seconds ago

Hi everyone. I am making my first wedding cake for this upcoming  weekend. I am making it three tier and the largest tier will be vanilla. I was wanting to do a stabilized whipped cream filling with a box of instant pudding added but wasn't sure how long it would stay up. I plan to fill and frost with BC Thursday night,  cover with fondant Friday and deliver Saturday. It is my aunty's wedding so I cannot push everything back a day and fill on Friday. (I am also working all week so no time to fill and fondant on the same day) I am making the cake at cost so I am not too worried if the icing isn't perfect but I don't want it to seep through the fondant. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance. 

you said buttercream here which would work much better than the whipped cream and pudding because that is mousse -- you could fill with the mousse but you have to hold a mousse filled cake very carefully in refrigeration so it doesn't make anyone sick --

since it is your first tier cake i would recommend the regular buttercream -- i would also suggest you back your timetable up one day -- for safety's sake for you to have enough time to do everything more than once if necessary and not panic -- you might not need the time but you can't walk it back -- 

there are shelf stable whipped toppings you could use like -- can't remember the name -- but still once you add the pudding it's back in the fridge you go

best to you

bridinney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridinney Posted 17 Jul 2016 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 9

I have made tier cakes before just not a wedding cake. I normally only use buttercream for a filling but wanted to try something new. I'm using cream cheese and a fruit filling for the other two tiers. In regards to the fridge, we have already figured out that the cake will fit in it (thus I will only have the cake out for a couple of hours before being said served) I will look around for shelf stable fillings and if not I'll just use buttercream. Thanks! 

-K8memphis Posted 17 Jul 2016 , 7:24pm
post #4 of 9

someone will pipe up here -- it has no milk in it -- it's a liquid and you whip it -- it is often available in the Jewish section of the grocery store -- i've used it -- i can't remember the name -- but i never used it under fondant.. oh man what's it called?

it's in a dusty brain file -- i need a new password for....

-K8memphis Posted 17 Jul 2016 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 9

richwhip? that doesn't sound like it -- dang it this is gonna bother me -- but i thought it had a guy's name in it -- might be rich whip

-K8memphis Posted 17 Jul 2016 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 9

maybe it's bettercreme -- yeah rich's bettercreme -- that's it smile.png

-K8memphis Posted 17 Jul 2016 , 7:40pm
post #7 of 9

and here's this that has really good info -- plus blakescakes does use pudding mix + r bc and it's shelf stable so there's that too

http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/732254/richs-bettercreme-under-fondant

but no one recommends it under fondant except as a filling

-K8memphis Posted 17 Jul 2016 , 7:45pm
post #8 of 9

fwiw in this instance -- it's a distinction without a difference to announce that this is "your first wedding cake" when you have made tier cakes before -- not that it's not true but it prompts a different type of answer kwim -- you're not brand new green making a tier cake as one would think -- anway

best to you

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 4:29am
post #9 of 9

Unless you've practiced with a whipped topping (whether it's Rich's Bettercreme, Pastry Pride, or homemade stabilized whipped cream) you may be risking disaster by mixing that and fondant.  Fondant does not play well with Pastry Pride, so I'm assuming that it will not play well with other whipped toppings. 

I made some cupcakes once with Pastry Pride and put a cute little fondant strawberry on top.  2 hours later, it looked like a gob of red, runny snot on top of the cupcakes.  Was that graphic enough?

Additionally, whipped toppings are light and fondant is heavy--lots of squishing out possibilities.  Personally, I suggest:  Don't try new stuff on a wedding cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%