Buttercream With Hi Ratio

Baking By TheCakerator Updated 17 Jul 2016 , 1:24am by Inga1

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 5

I've been using a buttercream with crisco, butter, p. sugar, vanilla extract and milk forever .. I have a cupcake order this weekend for outside in a garage .. Its hot and humid in MI so I bought some Sweetex Hi Ratio Shortening to use in place of my crisco .. 2 questions, can I just use the sweetex in place of the crisco I would normally use, if not, are there better recipes for the icing with sweetex? Thank you.

4 replies
kramersl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kramersl Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 5

Yes, you can use sweetex in place of crisco. You may find the texture to be a little different. Some people prefer high ratio shortening, some prefer crisco. It's all about preference

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 5
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 16 Jul 2016 , 1:31am
post #4 of 5

Yes, you can substitute Sweetex for Crisco using the exact, same amounts. 

The SugarShack recipe is very good.   However, since these are for tomorrow or Sunday, I'd suggest you stick with a recipe you KNOW instead of trying something at the last minute.   Just tell the customer that ANY recipe may melt in those conditions and tell them to keep the cupcakes in an air-conditioned house and only bring them out at the last moment to serve.

Inga1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Inga1 Posted 17 Jul 2016 , 1:24am
post #5 of 5

I prefer to use the Sweetex hi ratio 50/50 with butter. I find the buttercream to be easier to pipe than with regular Crisco. Also seems less grainy to pipe flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%