Food Safety Courses In Australia - Which One?

Business By Brookebakes Updated 17 Jul 2016 , 9:55am by Brookebakes

Brookebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakes Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 5

Hello hello!

I'm going through the process of installing a new kitchen (hooray!), so am doing things the "right way" to make sure my kitchen can be council approved so I can sell cakes etc anywhere I would like to, legally!

Part of this process is becoming a "Food Safety Supervisor" - well, it's only me working in the kitchen, so I will be my own supervisor! (FYI, this is close to Brisbane, Qld, Australia).

Has anyone completed these courses before and have recommendations on which education facility to go with? It looks like the course can be done online. The course titles are: " SITXFSA101, SITXFSA201 - Use hygiene practices for food safety, Participate in safe food handling practices. OR... SIRRFSA001A, Apply retail food safety practices.

Hints and tips appreciated! Thanks :)

4 replies
Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 16 Jul 2016 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 5

I hope someone comes long who can better answer your question. I'm in the United States and we have similar requirements. If I recall @810whitechoc ‍ is in Australia. I apologize if I am incorrect I thought I seen on a previous thread that you were :) 

also big congrats to you on opening a new kitchen!! We did the same thing we wanted to follow all the rules and be legal as well I can tell you it's worth it at the end of the day. You have the freedom to do what you want where you want and for whomever you want no restrictions beyond the set rules and regulations  no caps on how much you can make its really the best route to go. I wish you the best of luck!! Keep us posted on your progress :)

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 17 Jul 2016 , 12:54am
post #3 of 5

I'm in Melbourne, Victoria, and I did not need to complete a food safety course to have my home kitchen registered. I'm guessing you have outside premises to have the extra requirements, or Queensland has different regulations to Victoria. Do check with your local council what they specifically require; I was amazed that the inspection and registration process were much less arduous than I had anticipated.

Good luck!

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 17 Jul 2016 , 9:09am
post #4 of 5

Yes I'm in Australia NSW, I own a commercial bakery so I'm not sure if the requirements are the same for a home based business or not.  Also not sure if different states have different requirements.  I have a Food Safety Supervisors Certificate, to be honest with you I didn't over think this, it's just one of the many government paperwork things I have to do. I can't remember how I found the company I used I think the local small business office sent me an email advising a list of companies in my area and I just picked the one that was the most convenient for me.  I did a one day course that was held at the local Leagues club.  Any information I need about this kind of stuff I find on NSW Food Authority website which is a government website, I'm sure there would be a Queensland Food Authority for you to look up.  If you are not sure give them a call they will be able to answer your questions.

Brookebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakes Posted 17 Jul 2016 , 9:55am
post #5 of 5

Thanks to all for the advice :)

I've enrolled in an online course that will lead me to the certificate I need. Should only take 4-5 hours and cost was $100, so not too expensive.

I've just bought my dream oven, 90cm wide with gas cooktop. Sooo excited! Next step...submit kitchen plans to local council. Fingers crossed!

cheers :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%