Ribbon Sizes Don't Match Cake Drum Sizes! What Do You Do?

Decorating By sugarbritches Updated 17 Jul 2016 , 4:19pm by Cakesbylea

sugarbritches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbritches Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 15

I couldn't find this topic in forums.. Probably because everyone else has a simple solution I haven't thought of.  When I putting ribbon around a cake drum base it drives me crazy to find that ribbon does not come in 1 or 2 inch heights. Why is that? I am stuck choosing between too tall or to short.  I tried cutting the ribbon once.  That was a disaster because i couldn't cut it straight enough and it frayed terribly.  What do all of you do that my dumb brain isn't thinking of?

14 replies
sugarbritches Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 15

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 15

They don't come in 1/2 inch either. Three cake cardboards or a commercial cake drum are closer to 1/2 inch.

Perhaps it's time for someone to manufacture 1/2 inch ribbon for cake decorators.

you can thicken up your layer of fondant that is on top of the base, or you could put something under your boards to lift it up so the ribbon is even on top and drops down below.  LIke little feet, or a smaller cake board.  Funny how little things like this can make you crazy......

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 15

The ribbon I use is 5/8", the trick is to attach a cake board to the bottom of the cake base. So for eg your cake base is 12" then use an 8" cake board. Now the ribbon will fit exactly on a fondant covered board. Also now you have room under the cake base for your fingers to fit when lifting the cake. Hope this makes sense. I am sorry I do not remember where I read this, so I take no credit for this........but it works.

carolinecakes Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 11:10pm
post #5 of 15

Also the 3/8" ribbon is too narrow, 1/2" is difficult to find. By cake base I mean cake drum. 

Sometimes I find the rough edge of the cake drum still shows through, especially when I use the lighter colors or satin ribbon. So I  add the 3/8" ribbon centered on the 5/8 ribbon for a pretty effect. The cross grain ribbon offers the best coverage IMO.

carolinecakes Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 15

Since I have shared this info twice in the last week, I thought I should find who to thank for a great tip, here it is ........you have to scroll down a bit

https://m.facebook.com/notes/royal-bakery/the-top-tip-tuesday-collection/422740014413971

carolinecakes Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 11:32pm
post #7 of 15

[postimage id="4618" thumb="900"]

Courtesy of Ann- Marie's Cakes

carolinecakes Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 11:34pm
post #8 of 15

Well what a surprise ........I posted a pic from my tablet.....first time for everything I guess!

sugarbritches Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 1:09am
post #9 of 15

Oh my gosh that is the best tip!!! I'm so glad I decided to ask.  Lately I've posted so many questions but I'm so happy to get answers. Thanks everyone

Tobylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tobylee Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 1:53am
post #10 of 15

Great hint! I've had that problem too. Not anymore.  Thank

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 3:27am
post #11 of 15

Don't forget, you can use any cardboard underneath it. It doesn't have to be a cake board or food safe. You are just dabbing a bit of hot glue on it and gluing it to the bottom.

carolinecakes Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 3:32am
post #12 of 15

@johnson6ofus ‍ oh yeah all those amazon prime boxes come in handy.........

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 3:40am
post #13 of 15

and I get to keep shopping!!!!!  ([email protected])

carolinecakes Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 3:50am
post #14 of 15

blush.png shop till you drop baby..........or in this case till your fingers cramp up from adding all the stuff in your cart that you had no idea you needed......but heck its prime day...........and there are only 5 left.......hurry......lol

Cakesbylea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesbylea Posted 17 Jul 2016 , 4:19pm
post #15 of 15

Have y'all seen this tape? You can get it in different colors and textures at Walmart and craft stores. And most of them first a cake drums just right and they are self-adhesive, so no glue required.[postimage id="4638" thumb="900"]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%