Fondant Earrings

Decorating By aryewolfie Updated 15 Jul 2016 , 12:17am by bubs1stbirthday

aryewolfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aryewolfie Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 12

Hey guys,

This is probably a weird question, but a few months afo I made mini figures for a doll housecake for a friend. They're all dried and solid and my friend was wondering if she could transform them in earrings. I really don't know what to telle her. Should I just make some new ones out of polymer clay or cold porcelain... 

I know weirdest question ever!

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 12

naw -- just use the fondant then if she gets a sweet tooth she can wipe off any residual hair spray, ear wax leakage, etc. and have a snack -- jk jk jk

that is a strange question -- which one is lighter in weight? I've never used cold porcelain but I had polymer clay earrings and if they're tiny they are light enough but it gets heavy fast like for a necklace or larger earring --

please update on your results! this is interesting

aryewolfie Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 12

I don't know which is heavier. But I agree that polymer clay can get quite heavy for earrings.

I'm more concerned about wether they could survive the use. It's fondabt with gum tex and it's quite hard, but fondant doesn't usually react right to heat and humidity...

I don't know if anyone has an opinion please share it :)

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 12

While I keep my gumpaste figures and have gumpaste flowers on my night stand, I don't think the gumpaste/fondant earings will last for the reasons mentioned. Clay or cold  porcelain are better options. IMO. I saw a tutorial online where crumpled foil was used for the body of the figure. This was covered with clay for a lighter end result. kwim

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 12

I would think that the minute it got hot and she sweated a little bit or she got a few spots of rain on her etc the result would not be pretty.

Haha, I could imagine the person standing beside her being like 'umm, the arm just fell off your earing, oops, there goes the leg' or the actual earing dropping in to her steaming cup of tea like a giant sugar tablet lol.

carolinecakes Posted 13 Jul 2016 , 10:27pm
post #6 of 12

bubs  .......... you are funny

aryewolfie Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 12:30am
post #7 of 12

Yeah thanks everyone! Guess I'll just make her some out of clay for her birthday!!!! 

carolinecakes Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 12:41am
post #8 of 12

It's a pretty great compliment to you and your work............she wants to keep them and wear them......bowtie.png

-K8memphis Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 1:03pm
post #9 of 12

too funny, bubs, she could be at a job interview with melty appendages dotting her shoulders

frowning.png stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye.png

Bakerlady2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakerlady2 Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 2:08pm
post #10 of 12

I was  thinking if she was outside....she might have some bees chasing her. 

-K8memphis Posted 14 Jul 2016 , 3:04pm
post #11 of 12

picture gnat clouds on each ear engulfing her head -- omg this getting awful

laughing.png

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 15 Jul 2016 , 12:17am
post #12 of 12

Ha, looks like the general conclusion is that wearing fondant as a decoration on oneself is not going to turn out that well but that it is a pretty big compliment to you that she asked.

I would love to see what you end up making to give her :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%