High Altitude Scratch Recipes

Baking By Marla505 Updated 10 Jul 2016 , 6:15am by Dar917

Marla505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla505 Posted 8 Jul 2016 , 11:15pm
post #1 of 3

I live at the same mile high altitude as Denver and am looking for some really good basic scratch recipes that work well at this altitude.  Vanilla, WASC, Lemon, Strawberry and Pink Champagne in particular. Does anyone have any favorites you would share? Is there a cookbook out there somewhere that has these kinds of recipes?  I know how to do the high altitude adjustments but have had enough failures that I thought I would reach out for some recipes that are already tried and true. Can anyone help??

2 replies
Nancylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancylou Posted 9 Jul 2016 , 2:05am
post #2 of 3

Hey Marla505,  I think Three Little Blackbirds is a high altitude baker and she has several recipes on her blog here:

http://www.threelittleblackbirds.com/category/cake/

Scroll down for her vanilla butter cake.

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 10 Jul 2016 , 6:15am
post #3 of 3

Great topic! I moved to Salt Lake from Minnesota in 2013. I've made several from scratch cakes since being here and what I've found is I think you have to take out more sugar than what the conversion charts say. I'll take out up to 1/2 a cup of sugar, depending on how much the recipe calls for. I once read somewhere that you can take out up to half of the sugar called for in baked goods recipes and it will still be fine. I've had good luck with this, however my cookies still need work hehe. (I'm also type 1 diabetic and taking out some of the sugar is a good thing anyway.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%