Gold Sequin Cake - To Luster Or To Spray?

Decorating By ReezieCakes Updated 18 Jul 2016 , 2:00pm by ReezieCakes

ReezieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReezieCakes Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 6:04pm
post #1 of 10

Hey y'all!

I'm making a 60th birthday cake for my mother in about 2 weeks.  I'm envisioning a gold sequin bottom layer, but I've never done that before.  What is the best way to go about this?  The bottom of the cake will only be a 10" round. 

I've read a few threads already and have some ideas and have watched videos, but still a little concerned. 

If you use luster, how much luster dust is needed?  I feel like that could get pricey?  It's about $5 for a tiny tube of the wilton luster dust, is one good enough?  If using a metallic spray, does it compromise the sequins in any way?  I'm afraid of them disintegrating  from being sprayed.

If you ahve any suggestions, I'm all ears!

Thanks!

9 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 9:01pm
post #2 of 10

The sprays work fine.  They're alcohol bases, just like you'd use to mix the luster dust with to make paint.  Dry luster dust won't stick to the quins.

To get a good coating, I'd buy 2 cans of spray and do several light coats, drying in between, until I got the coverage I wanted.

meghanm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghanm Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 10

@ReezieCakes ‍ you need to check out Rolkem Super Gold, it covers so well and it is pretty inexpensive. I purchased mine off etsy and the seller ships out the next day. I posted the link to the listing below!

https://www.etsy.com/listing/265015247/gold-metallic-super-dust-by-rolkem-gold?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=rolkem%20gold&ref=sr_gallery_1

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 10

I'm interested as well...

**does anyone know how to add this to favorites? I don't see the heart or the fav tab.

*Last edited by soldiernurse on 1 Jul 2016 , 4:47pm
meghanm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghanm Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 10

[postimage id="4489" thumb="900"]

This was when I used the Rolkem Super Gold luster dust. It only took 1 coat to cover all the different colors of the confetti sprinkles! This stuff is amazing!

maybenot Posted 1 Jul 2016 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 10

Quote by @meghanm on 5 hours ago

@ReezieCakes ‍ you need to check out Rolkem Super Gold, it covers so well and it is pretty inexpensive. I purchased mine off etsy and the seller ships out the next day. I posted the link to the listing below!

If the gold portions will be eaten--and you are in the US--you can't use Rolkem metallics because they contain real metals and are not approved for human consumption.  The FDA has never approved real metals for use on/in foods.  In the US, only products that use FDA certified colors or other approved food additives can be used on food.

US sellers of Rolkem products should not be declaring them "edible", as the dusts, at best, are to be considered non-toxic, for decoration [that will be removed and not eaten] only. A person using the dusts on food [for sale or for persons other than themselves] can be subject to an enforcement action by the FDA.

The FDA has issued an advisory on the proper usage of non-toxic dusts: http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/FoodAdditivesIngredients/ucm481466.htm

ReezieCakes Posted 3 Jul 2016 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for the advice y'all, I think I'll probably use my airbrush machine and gold metallic from the local cake shop. 

Ill have to post a picture, it'll be my first attempt, hopefully confetti doesn't go flying everywhere :) 

maybenot Posted 3 Jul 2016 , 7:08pm
post #8 of 10

If you can adjust the PSI down on your airbrush, that's a good idea.  Otherwise, multiple fine coats--from a distance--that are dried in between will work nicely. 

I've only used Americolor [Amerimist] gold airbrush spray and I thought the results were good.  ChefMaster makes a gold, and a friend of mine highly recommends Dinkydoodle iridescent gold airbrush liquid [but boy, is that stuff expensive!].

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Jul 2016 , 1:17am
post #9 of 10

The Chefmaster gold spray is good.

ReezieCakes Posted 18 Jul 2016 , 2:00pm
post #10 of 10

Hey everyone! Thanks so much for the responses! Boy did this take A LOT of airbrush/coats! I felt like I could still see a little color from the confetti but once it dried completely, it looked much better...and pictures came out really nice! Here's my final product...

I received a TON of compliments :)

[postimage id="4652" thumb="900"]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%