Painting Fondant Figures

Sugar Work By jfraelich Updated 19 Jul 2016 , 6:26pm by debz3163

jfraelich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jfraelich Posted 26 Jun 2016 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 21

Hello fellow cakers!

I have an Ariel cake topper due in a few weeks, and this will be my first topper that requires painted facial features. What should I use to paint the face (eyes, eyebrows, lips)? Any paint and brush recommendations are much appreciated! Attached is a picture of what my figure will be modeled after.

Thank you![postimage id="4403" thumb="900"]

20 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2016 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 21

i would use edible ink markers -- specifically americolor gourmet markers -- you can cut the tip to make it a finer tip -- I've even mixed colors by writing over --

i would use these because they work so very very well and because I suck at painting smile.png

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 2:57am
post #3 of 21

Following - no advice sorry, just interested in the answers.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 4:48am
post #4 of 21

For the face I would use a very very thin paint brush and gel colours. I would definitely paint the eye brows, eyes and lips. I find I can control the thickness and intensity of the colour best using a brush and gel. For more translucent colour I thin it down with vodka. I also have markers but I find the colour is not as intense and they are too thick for details.

For the rough on her cheeks you can either use a dry round brush and red dust or airbrush.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 11:24am
post #5 of 21

i admire those who wield the mighty paintbrush but just for the record -- I'm repeating here so forgive me --

for others of us who are not paint brush worthy -- you can trim the felt tip on the gourmet markers to make it a very fine point -- just cut with scissors or an exacto

julia1812 Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 12:36pm
post #6 of 21

@K8memphis: I would say you have to be very artistic to form a mermaid face (or any other) out of fondant. Painting lips red and drawing some lines for lashes or eye brows is not what i call artistic!  

jfraelich Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 12:43pm
post #7 of 21

Thank you for the tips! I really appreciate it :)

@julia1812 ‍ what do you use for the white when bringing life to the eyes?

Thanks again, ladies! (I've never tried trimming the felt marker tips, but I see how that could come in handy for a lot of projects!)

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 1:42pm
post #8 of 21

I'm no expert, when I do eyes I use white gel paste and the tip of the handle of a paintbrush. It makes a perfect circle. Dip the tip in the color and lightly press onto the area. HTH

640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 2:07pm
post #9 of 21

For brushes, look for nail (art) brushes - they are very small/fine for such small detail and work great.  Found a set on Amazon with differing sizes - do not go too cheap.

julia1812 Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 2:43pm
post #10 of 21

It depends on the size of the figurine. If it's a bigger one I use white very thin gum paste and shape it with an extractor knife or similar tool then paint the pupil etc. If it's a tiny face I'd use white food coloring gel. 

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 4:11pm
post #11 of 21

julia1812 -- I do not doubt my artistry but the paintbrush which is your right hand apparently -- is not my favorite tool -- I can pipe flawlessly in the tiniest widths and I can as I said trim a marker and etc.

here's an old quote I like "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

all I was doing is giving more options -- relaxed.png

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 4:23pm
post #12 of 21

in fact fwiw -- in school and all following till my 20's I thought I was zero artistic  -- then I tried to copy a greeting card picture onto a cake and I did it perfectly and I was astounded -- speechless -- so I became a tree climbing fish -- blush.png

oh yeah in 8th grade though I did one project that was an Indian chief in yarn on burlap -- I do more 3-d things, drawings piped in icing -- but painting with brushes uh ugh I'm a flopping fish outa water 

julia1812 Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 4:28pm
post #13 of 21

Oh no no I get your point @K8memphis!  And I have mighty respect for free hand paint artists. What I mean is, if someone is artistic enough to sculpt ariels body and face should be able to paint some red lips on the already sculpted ones. I would be more worried about getting the proportions right and make her sweet face not look like a freak shape wise. But like you said everyone has a different strength and feels more comfortable with their own techniques. Not trying to make fish climb trees here hehehe.

jfraelich Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 4:34pm
post #14 of 21

Great! Now I'm not worried about painting, I'm worried about sculpting! stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye.png

julia1812 Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 5:03pm
post #15 of 21

Oh nooooo!  Hahaha. ... That's not what I wanted :/ Hope you are just joking...

You know I love figurines because you can make them in advance, no pressure. And if you don't like it just start over again. I always make the heads separate cause it takes me much longer than the body. And only if I'm happy with it I attached it. 

Hope you gonna post pictures!?

jfraelich Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 6:51pm
post #16 of 21

I am kidding :) And I do the same thing; I do the head as early as possible so that I have plenty of time to redo the sculpt if I'm not happy with it. Three is usually a charm for me! :)

And u can't definitely post pictures! Thank you for your help!

jfraelich Posted 19 Jul 2016 , 4:23pm
post #17 of 21

Here is how she turned out! (I was SUPER bummed because her head over rotated during the night (her neck wasn't as dry as I thought it was!) but she was still cute :)[postimage id="4669" thumb="900"]

-K8memphis Posted 19 Jul 2016 , 4:37pm
post #18 of 21

well done -- dang the little details huh but all your wonderful figurines have great expressions -- she kinda looks like mariah carey doesn't she?

jfraelich Posted 19 Jul 2016 , 5:19pm
post #19 of 21

laughing.png Bahahahaha she does!

julia1812 Posted 19 Jul 2016 , 5:23pm
post #20 of 21

Very cute

debz3163 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debz3163 Posted 19 Jul 2016 , 6:26pm
post #21 of 21

I'd be really pleased if anything I did turned out like that! I ordered a decent set of make up brushes with a really fine eye liner brush included. Have yet to try them though as I've packed all my cake and craft stuff away ready for imminent house move!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%