Looking For The Perfect Filling

Baking By wowcake Updated 5 Jul 2016 , 2:10pm by -K8memphis

wowcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wowcake Posted 20 Jun 2016 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 31

Hello Bakers,

looking for the good cake filling. I looking for the thick layer filling in the cake. I was wondering about pudding filling or mousse filling.Not a big fan of buttercream.

Any advises?or what is your favorite cake filling?

Thanks to all!

30 replies
ElizabethsCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElizabethsCakeCreations Posted 20 Jun 2016 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 31

All depends on the cake, what flavour are you doing?

wowcake Posted 20 Jun 2016 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 31

chocolate and vanilla. I think buttercream feels a little "crispy"

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 20 Jun 2016 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 31

I fill my cakes with flavored buttercream or whipped ganache. No puddings, mousses or fresh fruit (i.e. things that need to stay refrigerated). 

I've never found buttercream to be crispy. Perhaps try a different recipe? 

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 20 Jun 2016 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 31

Are you referring to a crusting buttercream? Try a Swiss Meringue, it's very close to a mousse texture.

wowcake Posted 21 Jun 2016 , 2:00am
post #6 of 31

Thanks to reply! I think regular buttercream a little "heavy" for the moist cake.I would like some filling light and at the same time thick layer.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jun 2016 , 3:43pm
post #7 of 31

I love to use thick fillings -- I like strawberries sandwiched in whipped cream and in other layers homemade lemon berry filling using fresh apple for pectin to hold it firm -- this for white cake with a grand marnier splash --

then for chocolate I often use an Italian cream filling which is cream cheese, sour cream and more lemon juice than vanilla little sugar -- it's ridiculous -- the cake I call hot fudge but it's a play on words because its fudgey and it has cayenne pepper on it -- so the cheesey filling balances it out --

two magic cakes

-K8memphis Posted 21 Jun 2016 , 3:47pm
post #8 of 31

and these would be covered in Swiss meringue butter cream maybe fondanted

sugarbritches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbritches Posted 21 Jun 2016 , 6:38pm
post #9 of 31

My most requested filling for some reason is what I call bavarian cream.  Basically it's pudding made with half & half and a little extra vanilla - I use only about 1 3/4 cups of half and half to a large box of pudding.  After it's set I whip up Pastry Pride and fold it in.  The Pastry Pride holds up really well. I have no idea why this filling is so requested above all others.

wowcake Posted 21 Jun 2016 , 7:22pm
post #10 of 31

never heard about Pastry Pride.Is t like buttercream?Do you put PP around pudding so it will keep in shape?

wowcake Posted 21 Jun 2016 , 7:24pm
post #11 of 31

Quote by @-K8memphis on 3 hours ago

I love to use thick fillings -- I like strawberries sandwiched in whipped cream and in other layers homemade lemon berry filling using fresh apple for pectin to hold it firm -- this for white cake with a grand marnier splash --

then for chocolate I often use an Italian cream filling which is cream cheese, sour cream and more lemon juice than vanilla little sugar -- it's ridiculous -- the cake I call hot fudge but it's a play on words because its fudgey and it has cayenne pepper on it -- so the cheesey filling balances it out --

two magic cakes

wow sounds like really magic cakes!

wowcake Posted 21 Jun 2016 , 7:26pm
post #12 of 31

what type of filling commercial stores (like HEB,Mayer's) in cakes so the layers look thick and smooth?

I was thinkng its margarine instead of butter,because cheap ingridients for store.

sugarbritches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbritches Posted 21 Jun 2016 , 7:29pm
post #13 of 31

Pastry Pride is a brand of whipped cream type filling.  It comes frozen and you thaw and whip.  I fold the pastry pride into the pudding to lighten it up.  I always use swiss meringue buttercream to frost so I use that as a dam and put the pudding/pastry pride mixture in that - you can put it pretty thick.

wowcake Posted 22 Jun 2016 , 4:40am
post #14 of 31

Quote by @sugarbritches on 9 hours ago

Pastry Pride is a brand of whipped cream type filling.  It comes frozen and you thaw and whip.  I fold the pastry pride into the pudding to lighten it up.  I always use swiss meringue buttercream to frost so I use that as a dam and put the pudding/pastry pride mixture in that - you can put it pretty thick.

Thank you I will check PP in local store. Should the cake with this filling stay refrigerated? 

rodgera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rodgera Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 1:02am
post #15 of 31

K8memphis is it equal amounts of cream cheese and sour cream for the filling you use with the chocolate cake?

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jun 2016 , 1:58pm
post #16 of 31

a little less sour cream than cream cheese -- I just kind of make it up every time -- I strain the water out of the sour cream by placing it in a strainer overnight or suspending it over a bowl tied in cheesecloth -- and I usually gelatinize it -- you can't get it wrong -- cream cheese, sour cream enough powdered sugar to taste but not too much -- more lemon juice than vanilla -- it's purely ridiculous -- you can't help eating a big spoonful

wowcake Posted 24 Jun 2016 , 3:37am
post #17 of 31

You said "and I usually gelatinize it "  do you mean you put gelatin into the sour cream?

-K8memphis Posted 24 Jun 2016 , 7:35pm
post #18 of 31

i bloom the plain unflavored gelatin in water and add it to the mix especially if it's for a celebration cake-- if it's just for us at home I don't do the gelatin --

like i said I just usually 'make it up' whenever I  need it-- proportion wise I don't go by a recipe -- 

wowcake Posted 26 Jun 2016 , 5:46pm
post #19 of 31

Quote by @-K8memphis on 1 day ago

i bloom the plain unflavored gelatin in water and add it to the mix especially if it's for a celebration cake-- if it's just for us at home I don't do the gelatin --

like i said I just usually 'make it up' whenever I  need it-- proportion wise I don't go by a recipe -- 

thank you! I have to try it!

do you think it would be fine if I put a layer of Nutella (chocolate paste) before putting filling?

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jun 2016 , 8:12pm
post #20 of 31

i would not -- you might like it that way -- test it out -- 

crnewbold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crnewbold Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 9:03pm
post #21 of 31

K8memphis That filling sounds delicious.  Does is require refrigeration?  

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2016 , 9:24pm
post #22 of 31

yes, crnewbold, must be refigerated

crnewbold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crnewbold Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 11:48pm
post #23 of 31

Thanks for the reply.  Can't wait to try it.

wowcake Posted 30 Jun 2016 , 1:57pm
post #24 of 31

me too!

-K8memphis Posted 30 Jun 2016 , 3:27pm
post #25 of 31

cool lemme know if you do

wowcake Posted 5 Jul 2016 , 4:19am
post #26 of 31

Quote by @-K8memphis on 4 days ago

cool lemme know if you do

Hello!May I ask you a question please. 

Bakers say that "some fillings have to be refrigerated"   What does it mean? we put all cake in refrigerator.

I understand that those "has to be refrigerated" fillings aren't perfect for wedding cake,right?

Thank you!

wowcake Posted 5 Jul 2016 , 4:20am
post #27 of 31

Quote by @Pastrybaglady on 20 Jun 2016 , 9:03pm

Are you referring to a crusting buttercream? Try a Swiss Meringue, it's very close to a mousse texture.

Now I think I used crusting buttercream as my filling....:(

wowcake Posted 5 Jul 2016 , 4:22am
post #28 of 31

Quote by @-K8memphis on 24 Jun 2016 , 7:35pm

do you melt gelatin before adding to the mix?

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2016 , 12:25pm
post #29 of 31

i do use this for groom's cakes but they were for family -- I have used it professionally for tons of cakes -- but it is a hazardous filling --must be handled properly or peeps can get sick --

carefully melt the gelatin -- yes -- if it gets too hot you kill it -- follow the directions carefully-- and sieve it so there are no little bits left in there

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2016 , 2:08pm
post #30 of 31

like I said I make up the recipe every time (in that it's not written down exactly) but I use maybe a third of a package but just depends on brand -- in other words I use a partial amount of say a regular recipe of jello 

nothing specific

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%